Decking joints - staggered or seam board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some tips on how to join decking boards end on.

The deck is approximately 3.3m by 9m and built using 4.8m pressure treated boards. We decided it would look better with the boards running parallel to the 9m length so will need to butt join the ends somehow.

I've looked into options on hear and elsewhere and the following 2 sound like the best options:

1) Staggering the joints at two points with a double joist at the joins ... something like this:
[url]http://www.kirsch-korff.com/Assets/images/deck3_redwood_los_angeles_pattern.jpg [/url]

2)Using a seam board like this:
http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TFH/Step-By-Step/FH10MAY_DECTIP_03.JPG

Staggering the joints has the advantage that it may look more like a continuous deck, but I have read that the pressure treated boards can shrink at different rates and are often different widths so the joints don't look great over time and can open up.

The seam board makes the join into a feature and mean that separation/differing widths is less of a problem but will make the join very obvious.

Any tips on which of these options looks best over time? ... or is there a better option I haven't thought of?

Thanks very much in advance

Sponsored Links
No join point is going to be perfect.

I use the butt-jointed idea from your first pic, although I randomize the joins a bit more than your pic.

How about having a board running at right angles down the centre of the deck, with two "halves" of the deck each of length 4.5m meeting at that board........means a bit of faff with extra joists but it'll look like you've thought about it - especially if that board is nicely mitred into the boards running along the front and back edges.

Also a good idea!

In the end I went for the seam board which is kind of similar except the board is positioned vertically - this merged quite well with the fascia boards around the edges.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back