Decking joist hangers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any recommendations for what joist hangers to use for a standard deck made out of 6x2? 'Jiffy' type ones are cheap but won't leave a flush finish for the deck boards as they strap over the top. The face fix ones are either 'mini' and too shallow or seem a bit heavy duty and really expensive.

It seems my options are cheap hangers with a lot of faff to make flush or expensive ones. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Just screw it with some 90s or 100mm screws.

We normally nail gun them, with a screw in the middle.

I was going to ask about hangers as well, but more generally is it better to use them? Do you even need to use them?

The deck at our last house was 4x2 and the subframe was just nailed together (which is what xr4x4 is alluding to, I think), like you would build a stud wall. We had that deck for 6 years before we moved and it was absolutely rock solid.

Sponsored Links
I'm being particular as my deck is 1m high, spans over a sewer and I need to satisfy a building control officer. I've gone for some Wickes face-fixing multi-truss hangers. Pricey though.

Speaking to a couple of builders I know, they would just screw the thing together as long as the deck was well supported and wasn't raised very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back