Decking on top of shed roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just built a large garden shed and I would like to make a roof terrace on top with timber decking. Anyone help on the best way to construct the roof to achieve this.

There is no roof at all at the moment so I would like advice on joists, roofing and how to fix the deckboards if possible.

Sponsored Links
nearly april the first :D :D ;)

heeelllooo and welcome pringle35 :D :D :D

i doubt it will work for several reasons

one your neibours will complain!!!

it will make it higher than 3m!!

your walls will probably need beefing up to accomodate the larger timbers to accomodate the extra weight!!!

what span is your shed roof

Haha, don't forget the handrails and planning permission too! :D :D :D

I did a set of drawings for someone who wanted a deck on top of garage, chap couldn't get permission and got a quote for £20k as the roof timber structure was immense to support the handrails. He didn't go ahead!

Thanks for your comments.

I spoke to the local building inspector before building and he told me to add pillars to strengthen the walls which i have done. There are also quite a few people in my area who have done a similar job.

What size timbers would I need? isn't it the same as house joists? Could I use joist hangers?

The shed is 4m by 4m.

I also forgot to say that the roof is at ground level to the rest of the garden because I live above a steep hill.

Could I have sensible answers only please and not the stock response about needing planning permission.

Sponsored Links
Are there no 'experts' who can help me with this?

Surely out of 89 views someone can give some advice on this.

i am a bench joiner so a bit outside my remit then ;)

so its 14ft unbroken span!!! you are going to need somthing like 8x2" at 16 inch centres i would have thought

if you put a "FLOOR" on top with a hand rail are you not then doubling your floor area outside the 30 sq m floor area i dont know the answer but worth checking ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back