Decking Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never built decking before so want to make sure I am doing it right. So would really appreciate it if you pros could answer a few questions.

The first question is related to building the frame for a level decking sitting on a slope. What do I rest the joist on at the top of the slope and do you just put a post at the bottom of the slope and fasten the joist to it as I have drawn below?

prb8.jpg

The next question is do I need to use bat joist hangers or what are the benefits of using them?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not a pro decking builder but...

You should bolt the frame directly onto the ouside wall rather than rest it on something. I didn't use joist hangers, just screwed long M6 Decktite coach screw into the ends. I felt that hangers would take too long to fit with a hammer and nails and I was worried that they might rust and discolour the timber (but I could be wrong...).

Wickes used to do a good "How to..." guide for decks. Discovery Shed had a show called "Decked Out" with an anarchic Canadian that was quite good too. I'm sure that you could find lots of videos on YouTube.

Oh yes... Don't make the deck absolutely level - you'll get puddles and slippery slime! I learnt that one the hard way!! ;)

Yes use timber posts and definitely use joist hangers ( screws alone will not hold over time and is just rough as hell ) use exterior decking screws.

And not making it level is a terrible terrible idea. There is absolutely no reason to not set joists out dead level, you do not need a water run. If done properly e water runs through the 10-15mm expansion gaps between each decking board onto the damp proof membrane under the decking frame.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back