Decking stringer - throat query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know if a 70mm throat is too small for a stringer?

I'm building a staircase to a raised flat roof. The stringer will be 5.3mm long (run = 4.25m, rise - 3.3m). That makes 17 steps of 260mm run with 200mm rise) but the largest my supplier does for a stringer (9x2") leaves only 70mm for the throat. The stairs will be only 900mm wide so I could use 3 stringers if that compensates for the small throat? There will also be a single block wall 1/3 of the way to support (as making a shed underneath).\

Any thoughts

Thanks

Dean

Sponsored Links
Its far from ideal, your main danger is cutting so much out of a 9 inch joist that it puts a lot of pressure on the corner of the tread/riser notch which is liable to crack.

Normally sistering some 25mm ply along it screwing and glueing to clamp the throat well together with the deep sections would help but outdoors that is a bad idea.

Screwing and glueing some 3x2 along instead would help and perhaps a third stringer or just a double stringer on the outside for good measure.

Removing as much bounce as possible will make the biggest difference to its lifespan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back