Decking - Timber Structure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am building a decking area and I am just curious about a couple of things regarding the posts I need to sink to get a flat base.

Firstly, the posts will only stick out of the ground a maximum of 12", how deep do I need to sink them (I keep seeing 2ft deep but surely thats not required for the height I want to achieve)?

Secondly, the ground is full of bricks,stone etc - whats the best way of getting my depth without creating too big a hole?

Lastly, My frame is going to be at right angles along the ledger but then will taper off at one end, whats the best way of keeping the structure all secure and tied together at the tapered end?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You really don't need to sink the posts, unless it's on a steep slope. Just resting on the ground is fine, or more accurately onto paving slabs or concrete blocks that have been levelled off with a weak mortar/cement mix underneath.

Where the deck tapers off, just triangulate with some joist offcuts, once the boards are down it will stiffen up the whole structure.

Thanks for the advice, just to give you more detail, I need to sink the posts because........

A) The base will go over half existing paved pation and half grass.

B) The ground does slope down.

Depends on how steep the slope, I would hazard a guess between 12 - 18"

If only a gentle slope and the ledger board is fixed to the house I still wouldn't bother sinking.

Sponsored Links
12" is fine if the ground is soild. we always sink and concrete the posts in, much more stable.

Not sure what you are referring to with teh tapered end. it will all be secure regardless of wether it tapers if its constructed properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back