Decking within retaining sleeper walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post as a long time lurker and decking fan, looking for some advice.

The photo shows an area which I have cleared and intend on decking. The sleepers are retaining higher ground on three sides.

I intend on fixing my joists running from left to right on the photo. My question is this;- if I fasten my joists using nails/screws to the sleepers, this will not allow for any movement caused by moisture/drying etc. Would I be better off using joist hangers, cutting the joists a few millimetres short and therefore allowing for any expansion/contraction? Or is the expansion so minimal that it is not worth worrying about?

Incidentally, the slabs have nothing to do with the build and are only covering my post holes.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
I am glad I got your attention Thermo having been a fan of your good advice over time........ just trying to work out how to show the image which I have uploaded to my albums

Sponsored Links
if the sleepers are sound, then fix the frame inside them direct to the wood. no need to worry about the expansion and contraction and certainly no need to use joist hangers. I would actually line out the inside face of the sleepers with the frame, so it can all be set at the exact finishing level required.

First class response Thermo. It was my intention to do as you say and line my 6x2's around the edge before inserting the joists. Your reassurance is much appreciated re the expansion question...... it was one of those 'wake up at 3am type niggles' before spending all day chewing it over.

Keep up the good work!

OOI, why did you dig your post holes before know exactly where the posts are going, or did u plan it all out in advance?

OOI, why did you dig your post holes before know exactly where the posts are going, or did u plan it all out in advance?

I have assumed 400mm joist centres from the back wall. I have dug at 800, 1600 and 2400. The area is 3m wide so split it into three for 1m centres across the width. Used string line to ensure that they are in line. Will need to dig a couple more at the bottom end but need to wait until the frame is assembled for those.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back