dell laptop dvd-rom problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife has a dell inspiron 8500. Recently it fails to recognise the dvd-rom. If you press the eject button on the dvd the little light comes on for a mo but nothing happens. Look under My Computer and it does not seem to exist. If you try to boot up with the dvd-rom in place you get a message saying unidentified hardware (or something like that) and it will not boot any further than this until you physically remove the dvd-rom. I have tried 'Install new hardware', error-checking. When I looked under Device Manager it tells me the hardware is working properly. Any ideas before I take it in for repair?

Sponsored Links
Thanks pip I will keep that for future ref. A pal just popped round and poked a paper clip into the tiny hole in the side of the dvd-rom which released the disc that was stuck inside there and suddenly everything is back to normal. He reckons the laptop was trying to boot off a 'Simpsons' dvd!
I never knew about the paper-clip thing, apparently it works on all cd- and dvd-roms even when the power is off.

yes its a tiny hole for manual release, pity zip drives dont have them :cry:

Sponsored Links
My old zip drive runs on no problem .. except the daughter's titchy plug in mem has 512 MB !!
There is a potential problem tho' ....
Gibson to the -rescue?
;)

Aaargh it's happening again even without a disc inserted. Looks like I will have to look at the Dell forum. :(

Back