Dense block and stone garden wall planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have done a little research on the net, as I am planning to repair the garden wall.

1. Current Situation
Wall about 4.5 ft high made of stones with mortar, juts over a foot wide. One side has soil about 1.5 foot higher than the other. Wall is about 20ft long. Badly leaning away from the soil side, and stones falling off etc. Probably about to collapse completely in due course, as plants and ivy are growing from many places along wall, and shoving stones out etc.

2. Plan
I hope to be able to dismantle and rebuild the wall. Firstly taking all of the existing stones out and laying them in piles of approximately the same side/shape. Next, I'll check if the footings are good, or need to be made. I am planning to use dense concrete block for the centre of the wall (not laid flat but creating a 100mm thickness for the centre of the wall), placing wall ties at two foot intervals, and plastic 40mm pipe every five feet(?). Next I intend to reuse the stones and follow the line of the wall either side, backfilling the spaces between the stones and the block and filling with mortar. On the "earth" side I'll use another skin of block until I reach the top of the earth, then I'll continue with stones. I'll use flat stones for the top spanning across the centre block and stone part either side.

3. Does this sound OK - ANY advice greatly appreciated, as I have never build a wall like this before. I also don't know whether I need to remove the earth from the wall before removing the stones or whether it will be ok just to remove the stones and the earth will remain where it is?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back