Dented, scraped and paintless

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys!

So I had a run in with a concrete wall.... and now I have a lovely big dent in the side of my car, slightly warped metal and no paint. I can't really afford the £400 I have been quoted to fix it.. And I would really like to give it a go myself, but I have never done anything like it before.. So can you help me out and give me some advice on what to use/how etc. I'd really appreciate it! View media item 83578 View media item 83579

Sponsored Links
I think you're going to struggle to make a decent job of that, looking at the way the panel has creased (bulged) at the bottom. Problem with most panels is that the metal stretches when dented so not often it can just be pulled back into shape.

What tools do you have access to? Access from the inside is going to be very limited so a dent puller might help to straighten it a little, then you will probably have to resort to hammering out the bulge, removing the paint and filling, followed by primer and top coats of paint from spray cans. The gouge on the door will need cutting back to bare metal, filling, priming and painting. The wheel arch (probably plastic) will need filling and painting too. To be blunt about it, unless you are well practised, it will always look naff compared with a professional job.

That's a nasty dent in the three quarter panel and I think it needs a bodyshop to do that one......the only thing you can do to help things is to remove all of the interior trim to help access.
The door is less of a problem, some filler and paint would suffice.
Your quote is pretty good really, for the repair and paint......is that a Ka?
John :)

Yea its a Ka. I wasn't sure if I would be able to it myself.. And I don't have access to any tools at the moment, besides usual DIY tools. Im not that fussed if it doesnt look professional, as I have pretty much written off this car as a junker (or it will be by the time im ready to upgrade). Its my first car so im pretty sure im gonna do it again (although I am sure as hell going to try to avoid doing it.).

Plus, it seemed like a fairly fun project to work on, however difficult. Where would the best place to get filler be from? Any ideas? Im still waiting on another couple of quotes.

Sponsored Links
Any motor factor or Brown Bros for the filler.
A bodyshop would be pulling most of that dent out, but get behind it of you can with a long bar (wrecking bar or similar) and see how much you can gently push out.
John :)

Metallics are awful paints to get right as a DIYer. Try pushing it out from the inside as suggested but don't take a paint can to it or you'll just make it look worse.

Back