Design service for underfloor heating layout

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any companies out there that will design an underfloor heating pipe layout for me? We will be installing a wet UFH system into a kitchen diner and an attached room. I do not want it installed by the designer, but I do want to be able to give a layout / design to the builder for their plumber to install.

Sponsored Links
Does the Builder's plumber not have experience installing ufh?
We do it for the builders we work for, after some discussion with both them and client regarding layout and kitchen unit locations!
Is it free pipe clipped to insulation and then screeded?

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c
NuHeat will provide you with a full design service on their systems

Does the Builder's plumber not have experience installing ufh?
We do it for the builders we work for, after some discussion with both them and client regarding layout and kitchen unit locations!

I am taking his word that he has installed UFH, and I have no reason to doubt him. I was a little disappointed when I mentioned the circular layout vs meandering layout (like this image shows) and he said he only does meandering. But to be fair to him, I find lots of information on the internet saying circular is best, but then I also see lots of photos of the meandering pattern - it's hard as layman to know which layout should be used.

Is it free pipe clipped to insulation and then screeded?
I assume it will be this way, but he asked if we wanted diffusers ... so I guess he wasn't assuming screed.

I may have approached this incorrectly by just saying "we'd like UFH those rooms" as there are so many ways to do this. I wrongly assumed that UFH was just pipes in screed.

Sponsored Links
NuHeat will provide you with a full design service on their systems
Thank you for that name. I had no idea about expansion joints which I think we will need as the area is L shapped and 50 sqr m. Again, I am just assuming the builder and plumber will do this. Should I expect to see a detailed spec/design/layout or is that asking too much?

What questions should I be asking?

I am taking his word that he has installed UFH, and I have no reason to doubt him. I was a little disappointed when I mentioned the circular layout vs meandering layout (like this image shows) and he said he only does meandering. But to be fair to him, I find lots of information on the internet saying circular is best, but then I also see lots of photos of the meandering pattern - it's hard as layman to know which layout should be used.

I assume it will be this way, but he asked if we wanted diffusers ... so I guess he wasn't assuming screed.

I may have approached this incorrectly by just saying "we'd like UFH those rooms" as there are so many ways to do this. I wrongly assumed that UFH was just pipes in screed.

Screed is best... at least 70mm of it on top of Kingspan or Celotex.
As this will then act as a thermal store and radiate heat evenly.

What is the scope of the works you are having done?

You should be in direct discussion with the plumber, not just the builder and should ask him if you can visit any previous installs he has done and speak to the owner. I have plenty of previous customers who would be happy to vouch for my work.

• Thanks
I have been to so many ufh problems fitted by builders who reckon they know what to do because they fitted it at theirs.

Op you are right to want to get it spec d properly because if it doesn't work well this time next year it's an expensive job to put right

I use wavin who have a design service and it's worked out scientifically by these ufh manufacturers as it should be. You ll find most manus have a design team which is free

• Thanks
Thank you for those names. I have already spoken to Ambiente (and let them know it was you Dan who recommended them) and will try Wavin and NuHeat on Monday.

Screed is best... at least 70mm of it on top of Kingspan or Celotex.
As this will then act as a thermal store and radiate heat evenly.

What is the scope of the works you are having done?

This is a new extension and currently just has beam and block. The architect (since sacked) specified for 70mm insulation and 70mm screed. There is actually a little more depth to play with. Would you recommend more insulation or screed? The floor covering will be vinyl tiles.

Thank you for those names. I have already spoken to Ambiente (and let them know it was you Dan who recommended them) and will try Wavin and NuHeat on Monday.

This is a new extension and currently just has beam and block. The architect (since sacked) specified for 70mm insulation and 70mm screed. There is actually a little more depth to play with. Would you recommend more insulation or screed? The floor covering will be vinyl tiles.

Heat loss down the way is not a huge consern with UFH design.
But a good U value is always advantageous.

Wonderful choice by the way, UFH is perfect & a lovely way to heat your home.

• Thanks

Oh it certainly is... I love it when we've put it on in a building site (slowly to avoid problems with the screed) & watch the faces on the other trades when they come in and feel the heat but see just block walls and no rads in sight! :eek::cool:;)

I can't help thinking those with underfloor heating have to say that to convince themselves. I recently turned down the opportunity of having it fitted in an extension because I couldn't see any genuine benefit particularly given our climate. Plus, I actually like the look of a decent radiator and the immediate benefit of its localised heat output.

I'm at home all the time too so the long on and off times wouldn't be that much of a problem even if the wild temperature fluctuations of our recent weather would confuse things a little. I can't think there is one reason I'd want to swap my 15-20 minutes warm up time and red hot hand/coat warmers hanging on the wall. Then there's the bigger potential for problems and future maintenance with the extra unnecessary hardware. The latter more prevalent with a less than perfect install of course but then the chances of that today appear greater as decent workmanship is a dying art.

Every person I know personally has confessed to not liking the UFH due to it not warming the room sufficiently. Having not experienced UFH is it really better, equal but different or a Joneses thing for those that try to substitute ownership for a personality?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back