Design thought

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My architect has proposed a soldier course above my 2.5m high patio / bi folding doors on a white rendered extension. Does anyone think this will look rather odd given that it is not a brick faced extension? I have the option of leaving out the soldier course and simple increasing the height of the doors to 2.6m.

Second question - does anyone think it is odd / unusual to have a brick exposed extension if the rest of the house is white rendered?

Sponsored Links
Looks to me like there is a low level exposed brick plinth detail also. I think the soldier course will look ok. It will be fun and games to build as will the plinth detail.

I know because we are doing one at the mo' along with tricky corbel work too.

Nice job. Good to see that there are still people around who are prepared to pay for detailing.

Nice job. Good to see that there are still people around who are prepared to pay for detailing.
Ta duck.

Now that the fake purlin ends are in place along with the corbel detail and the blue brick plinth and the blue brick - buff brick - red brick detailing in the pillars are all done, it will look nice once the bricks have been cleaned and the block-work rendered.

It's coming in at aboot £1600 per sq/m for the building work on this build.

Sponsored Links
why fun and games to build?

I dont know why he's put the bricks at the bottom like that. Maybe to replicate the original house before we knock through, but I didnt see anything of value in doing that.

I like details too, adds a nice final touch to something but ultimately its just a brick turned to its side rather than anything special. What is a corbel, the round arch that you are building?

why fun and games to build?
Building above a lintel, even stretcher bond is a pain, especially when there is a wee bit of give on the lintel.
Soldier headers are a gazillion times worse.

As for a plinth detail - you will have needed to have built one to know just what a faff they are. Top tip: get some 38mm concrete slabs to back in the masonry up to the point where the plinth brick brings the masonry back to the correct thickness.

If it's going to save me money is rather just render the whole thing than flag around with a few bricks l. I also have the option of extending the height of the patio doors to 2.6m from 2.5 if I don't have the soldier course. What would you do?

If it's going to save me money is rather just render the whole thing than flag around with a few bricks l. I also have the option of extending the height of the patio doors to 2.6m from 2.5 if I don't have the soldier course. What would you do?
I would be inclined to leave the doors at normal height i.e. 2.1m. This is because you don't seem to be struggling for light admittance due to those large patio sets.

I thing the brick detailing will break up and detract from the monotony of the render.

That's the problem with crap drawings that are just a mass of busy blurred lines - you can't actually see what the thing will look like when built.

You just have to decide whether you want a bland, blancmange inspired rendered mass, or something with interest.

We won't be sitting in the garden looking at it.

What colour are the windows and roof tiles? If they're grey, perhaps a row of grey bricks would compliment the overall design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back