Detached Garage to Shed/Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Got a garage on the back of the garden (about 13m2) which we don't currently use for anything other than storing the lawn-mower and junk before we throw it away. Looking to convert it into my office/shed/man-cave.

Garage door, we currently have 2 old rotting wooden doors that need to be replaced, and as we're thinking about converting it, we might as well just brick it up. We don't need access to the service road behind us. I'm pretty sure i don't need permission for this? Totally bricked up, no windows in it or anything.

Electricity, we already have a feed from the main consumer unit which goes down 2.5mm SWA cable into a new consumer unit in the garage. Which will be re-done to have a circuit for lights, circuit for sockets and a circuit for the outside sockets we're going to put on (lawn mower, etc).

Insulation, this is a biggy. We currently have none, and it's a single skin of bricks, so obviously i need to think well about the insulation. Can i just basically just put a stud frame around all 4 walls, insulate with wool and then plasterboard? Same for the flooring, which will have a layer of chipboard or similar, as well as a damp proof membrane underneath to stop any of that getting in. And the ceiling, which is a slanted roof with felt on at the moment. We'll also be putting in 2 uPVC windows and a nice door where we currently have a nasty old rotting wooden door.

I'm sure there any many things i'm missing, any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Line your outer face(stud work) with a breather membrane and seal the inside face with a moisture barrier (taped and sealed polythene). Sit your sud work on a DPm and install air bricks into top and bottom of the walls to vent the cavity and keep dry.

Thanks, can you show me an example product? Those breathable membranes i can see are for roofs?

Also, if the DPM runs upto about 30cm up the walls and i then put the stud over the front of that, will that be sufficient?

Then put this between the stud wood and the brick wall? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/153230

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back