Determining if outhouse roof is tied into house wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
First post so here goes. We have a 1950 ex council terraced house with an outbuilding that butt's onto the house with a door leading from the kitchen into it. By the look of things it was once an outside toilet. The roof is of reinforced concrete construction. My question is how would I determine if any of this stucture is tied into the walls of our house.
Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
A few pictures please, if anything like council houses in my location. With outhouse and the flat concrete roofs, they are bonded into brickwork.

My ex council house built 1946 had a similar outhouse leading in from a narrow kitchen and had a toilet and coal room. It was single skin with white asbestos cement boards at the base of the roof structure with around 4/5 inches of reinforced concrete poared directly onto the cement boards which was tied into the external skin of the house. Costs to demolish this correctly almost doubled the cost of the extension that now replaces it.

It got demolished safely eventually and asbestos disposed of correctly however some of the methods used to remove the roof by the contractor due to the sheer nature of the conctruction werent pretty.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If the walls weren't bonded, then they would be down the bottom of the garden by now.

Concrete roofs were cast after the walls were built.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back