Diagonal crack on clay tile on porch roofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Apologies for not taking pictures as it would make things easier. However I do hava e apicture of the porch overall roof. The titles are straight square clay tiles, the house is a victorian house built around the 1920's.

View media item 64686I recently noticed the crack and I do not want to dabble into changing the particular tile at the moment, as I will be changing the roof in like 5 years time. I just want a fix that will last some time. I was told by a make that I can just squeeze in silicone sealant on it. I saw this product called No Nonsense Roof & Gutter Sealant Black and was wondering whether that would do the trick.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
wouldnt know where to get it from and I am also concerned about causing more damage whilst trying to replace broken tile. Also the tile is reachable from the upstairs window, so the patch is more suitable.

IF I were to replace tile, I will need a ladder leaning onto the porch, this can damage the guttering or more tiles.

brown plain tile, around 30 plus vat at most. not an expensive fix

Get some steps and a piece of 4"x 2" and stick it in the gutter.

Rest your ladders up this.

Using a brickies trowel, un-hook the broken tile and using the same trowel slot another in.

If the broken tile is near to hip you may need to remove neighbouring tiles away from the hip, so that you can slide the broke one out so as not to lift the mortared hips. Re-fit in reverse.

Man up and stop dithering.

The broken Tile is also the one closest to the lead flashing. Does this really matter ?

ALso will I expose more problems by disturbing the lead flashing ?

The broken Tile is also the one closest to the lead flashing. Does this really matter ?

ALso will I expose more problems by disturbing the lead flashing ?

Lead flashing should easily lift.

You may also find that the top course is nailed. If the broken tile is near to the ridge then the lead will be trapped down. It may mean removing tiles further away from the ridge then sliding the offending tile out (horizontally along the batten) and slide another whole tile back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back