DIAMETER OF 10MM CABLE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise if a twin and earth cable of approx 13mm overall diameter is 6mm or 10mm cable. it supplies my electric shower which needs replacing and i am not sure what kw rating unit I can stretch to?

Sponsored Links
robpom said:
Can anyone advise if a twin and earth cable of approx 13mm overall diameter is 6mm or 10mm cable. it supplies my electric shower which needs replacing and i am not sure what kw rating unit I can stretch to?
AFAIK 13mm is 6mmT+E. 10mm is about 17mm

andrew2022 said:
robpom said:
AFAIK 13mm is 6mmT+E. 10mm is about 17mm

thanks for the info- I was looking for a website that may give me the info but no joy

Sponsored Links
6mm has single -trand earth conductor
10mm has multi-strand earth conductor

GrantD said:
6mm has single -trand earth conductor
10mm has multi-strand earth conductor
That may be true of today's cable, but going back in history things were different...

The pre-metric "2.5mm" in my house has three-strand earth (and 7-strand phase and neutral - I think it was called 7/029 in the Good Old Days?)

I also have a reel of 6mm Earth cable that has 84 strands - it's a darned sight easier to work than the current 7-strand stuff! Can you still get the more multi-cored varieties of cable, or has economy wiped them out?

Cheers,

Howard

HDRW said:
I also have a reel of 6mm Earth cable that has 84 strands - it's a darned sight easier to work than the current 7-strand stuff! Can you still get the more multi-cored varieties of cable, or has economy wiped them out?

Cheers,

Howard

we use stranded (loads of strands) 6mm earth at work. it much easier to work with than the earth with 7 strands

The only time we use stranded is for temporary gen installed etc. Big 5 core flexes, 25/35/50mm etc. Call them 'pythons'. Easy to handle, but still very heavy:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back