Did I Do This Right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I used to live at a pub, sparky let the landlord down at last minute before a large outdoor event, so I was put on the spot.

He had already installed a seperate CU with an RCD & 32a MCB, followed by a 90 degree rotatey switch to SWA (about 20m) terminated at a blue commando socket.

My task was to provide the entertainment folks with something usable to them.

I fixed 4 x double 13a sockets to a piece of chipboard wired in a "ring" to a suitable commando plug in 2.5mm t & e.

After at least 4 years, I often wonder if I did it right!

Any comments?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Twin and earth is more for fixed wiring and not really suitable for terminating in Plugs.
Flexible cables are preffered for that.

Twin and earth is more for fixed wiring and not really suitable for terminating in Plugs.
Flexible cables are preffered for that.

I kind of attached it to the board with cable clips.

You have to understand it was a last minute bodge!

A few comments on the setup

1: as others have said T&E isn't really very appropriate for situations where it will be flexed. Repeated flexing of solid core cables can work harden and break them
2: putting two cables or a non-round cable into a CEEFORM plug is likely to defeat the plugs waterproofing.
3: double sockets aren't really designed to take 13A through both sides at the same time, as such IMO adaptors like this are better built with single sockets.
3: short rings are very prone to balance problems, especially in a setup like this.

Having said that if it was for use once and in a location where it was sheltered from the elements I don't see anyt safety issues with it.

If you wan't to build something similar but better in the future i'd suggest 4mm artic flex, a compression gland into to the first accessory and then some kind of conduit joining the accessories (for metalclad sockets a pair of bushes into a coupler would probablly do nicely, for masterseals you probablly want to use something made of PVC conduit). If it's to be used outdoor you should obviously use IP rated sockets. If you are building it for reuse in multiple locations I would also include RCD and overcurrent proection in case these have not been dealt with properly at source.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back