Did I fix my boiler correctly?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

So, my boiler cut out the other day, and after about an hour with the manual and a lucky guess I figured out it was the fan. Anyway, I bought a fan and after taking a look at the one already in my boiler I figured it wasn't impossible to fit myself, just 4 screws and 2 tubes.

Well, I was wrong it turns out it was 4 screws, 2 tubes and a pipe around the back for ventilation. Anyway, I took it out with no problem and put it all back exactly the same. Except for the pipe round the back. I know for a fact it wasn't airtight before as it just sat over a cylinder leading to outside, but I don't know if I got it exactly the same as before. Eventually, I decided the fan did most of the work anyway, so as long as it led outside it'd be fine.

But after about 2 hours having "fixed" my boiler (now runs well) I'm getting extremely paranoid about a possible carbon monoxide leak due to incomplete ventilation and thus burning. So, to check I decided I'd see the colour of the flame in the boiler (assuming blue meant complete combustion and orange meant possibly warning signs). Its mostly blue with licks of orange here and there (if I had to give a %, about 75-80% blue, 20-25% orange).

Now I have no idea how blue or orange it's meant to be normally and I also have little to no experience in fixing plumbing/heating (though I do a little basic DIY around the house), but is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Get someone out to check it over -flame picture doesnt sound 100%-and if the case isnt put together right or one of the seals need replacing there is a chance of products of combustion leaking from it.

The work u have done should have been carried out by someone who is GSR the fan forms an integral part of the flue and u have been in the combustion chamber.
Get it checked and stop putting yourself /family or neighbours at risk.
LEAVE ALONE!!!!!

Sponsored Links
turn it off and get a boiler engineer to check it, you might have left it in a dangerous condition.

Right. Turned it off. Thanks for the advice.

By the way, it really was 4 screws, 2 tubes and pipe. I would've got someone in to do it for me, but it really did look simple- it just seemed silly to get anyone else. Took about 30 minutes for me to do, and I took extra care. But if you guys say it's dangerous, I admit my ignorance and get someone to check it out.

I guess I was just feeling arrogant after getting what was wrong with the boiler :oops: .

there is nothing wrong with replacing component and i applaud you trying

buutt you should only work on equipment you fully understand
you need to understand the safety implications
iff you understand the dangers with combustion gasses gas and electricity then your half way there the main part off a safety related repair is having the correct understanding off how things work
understanding off how to test correctly
and have the correct test equipment
and permission from gas safe [trained and qualified]

unfortunately you managed the easy 10% off the problem :D ;)

The pipe and the cylinder :!: That sounds like the inner flue OMG turn it off :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back