Diesel glow plug testing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I was wondering how do you test glow plugs?
I have a 2005 Vauxhall combo 1.3 CDTI 44,000miles great little van but is a pain to start when cold.
I changed one of the injectors as it was spitting diesel out of #1 cylinder
i thought that air was maybe getting in to the system so changed that but is still difficult when cold & also seems to be developing a bit of a hesitation every now & then but ever so slightly.
I changed the oil (5w 40w) air filter & oil filter as i always do when i get another vehicle.
The only thing i can think is one of the glow plugs is gone but i dont know how to test!

Any advice on this would be very appreciated.

Sponsored Links
With and Clamp type ammeter
not sure what you should see on the Combo but the should all be similar.
I would expect the Glow plug light to come on if there was a problem though

Cheers for the quick reply Stuart, do you mean a crocodile type clip if so which side does the positive & negative go & is it done with the glow plug in or out & connected? :!: Sorry im a novice with diesels.

Disconnect the heater plug wires.
connect one end of a jump lead onto the positive battery terminal (RED).
Place a long screwdriver on the connection of one of the plugs and touch the other end of the jump lead on the steel shank of the screwdriver.

You should see a small spark when you disconnect, if not the plug has failed.
Don't leave connected for long (2seconds).

Check each plug in the same way.

Don't let the screwdriver touch any other part of the engine while connected to the battery (this will be a short).

Hopefully you will find a nice easy one has failed?

Sponsored Links
..or measure the resistance of each plug with the lead disconnected, should read 1 ohm or less.

..or measure the resistance of each plug with the lead disconnected, should read 1 ohm or less.

Thats the way to do it.....
Sometimes glow plugs are rated at 11v instead of 12v.....if they get a full voltage for too long (during testing) they burn out.
John :)

Hi there
I was wondering how do you test glow plugs?
I have a 2005 Vauxhall combo 1.3 CDTI 44,000miles great little van but is a pain to start when cold.
I changed one of the injectors as it was spitting diesel out of #1 cylinder
i thought that air was maybe getting in to the system so changed that but is still difficult when cold & also seems to be developing a bit of a hesitation every now & then but ever so slightly.
I changed the oil (5w 40w) air filter & oil filter as i always do when i get another vehicle.
The only thing i can think is one of the glow plugs is gone but i dont know how to test!

Any advice on this would be very appreciated.

Take 1 out at a time, put positive feed to end and earth on side and they should glow... even if 1 is not working , this will affect your starting !

You can test with an "ampere meter "depending on where you connect it.

Each plug should take about 7 amps:- 4 plugs would take 28-30 amps.

;)

Sponsored Links
Back