difference between sealed and open vented/draining a sealed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

how do you tell what kind of system you have?

I believe if it is open vented there is an extra exspansion tank in the loft, but what is there if it is a sealed or combi system?

Is there any way of telling without venturing up into the roofspace?

I am venturing into the property world,but this is something I do not know about.

i have also read that you must consult a professional before draining a sealed system,but also have heard it is not that much different than a n open one.Do you just do as normal(is there a tank in the loft)?, and open up the drain valve and let it run?

any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
As you have said, if you've got an open vented system then you will have a feed and expansion cistern in the loft. If it's a sealed system then the boiler or system will have a pressure gauge, there will be a metal braided flexible filling loop and a hot water cylinder in the house somewhere. If it's a combi boiler, then the boiler will fire when you switch a hot tap on, and shut down when you switch it off. There will be 5-7 pipes going to the boiler, and there will be no hot water cylinder.

You can drain a sealed system yourself, just open the drain valve as you say. The tricky bit is getting fresh inhibitor into the system (essential) when you come to refill it.

thank you for your reply.
however i am slightly confused when you refer to a sealed system,you say' there will be a hot water cylinder somewhere', then later on state 'there will be no hot water cylinder if its a sealed system'.

don't think i'm being pedantic, i'm no plumber!

Sponsored Links
First things first...

If you have water tank/s in the loft (or high in house) then you have a vented system (tanks are usually black plastic or galvanised steel) and have a valve in that lets water into the tank when water is used in the house. These tanks will have a 22mm copper pipe, open on the end, that points into the tank (called a vent pipe).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back