differences between satinwood paint?

Reaction score
After much deliberation and searching on forums etc, I've decided to redo all my woodwork in the house with a water based satinwood. Its all oil based gloss currently but has yellowed badly overtime.

I've noticed Johnstones Satinwood recommended several times, so think I'm leaning towards this.

I've been into local B&M store and can get a 2.5 litre tin of 'Johnstones One Coat Quick Dry Satin' stuff for 13 bucks. but I've also found another called 'Johnstones Aqua Water Based Satin' one is double the price of the other? plus the tins look different? Which is the stuff to get?? I've a lot to paint so cheaper the better but I don't want poor quality stuff.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Just to add I want as durable a Fijian as possible, one which can be wiped clean etc. Can anyone confirm which specific johstones satinwood is the best and may provide a link?

Much appreciated.

I've used water based paint once and it peeled off despite a really good key. It was a while ago now and apparently the paint is much improved! However, I've never had decent results from any paint that says its 'one coat'. I steer well clear of those, be it for walls or woodwork.

Hopefully someone can come along and help you soon with paint recommendations :)

Sponsored Links
Armstead satin is very good. Made by Dulux. Can get it from Screwfix or Dulux decorator center. Good flat off on existing glossed woodwork and then apply two coats of the Armstead water based satin back on the woodwork. very nice finish. You can use Zinsser coverstain as an adhesion primer over the oil based paint first if you want , this will act as a key for the water based paint.
You can also use a product called "gloss off " this is a solution that you spray on and wipe off the glossed woodwork which keys it prior to applying the water based paint.

Good advice Robbie, thank you. What's best easiest in your opinion? Zinnser or sanding? Or both?

You need to sand anyway to get things smooth, but the Zinsser Coverstain is brilliant. Its not overly cheap but well worth the money. Its a stain block, stops knots bleeding through and acts as an adhesion primer. Dries in about and hour and can be coated over the same day with the water based top coat.

I've used the zinsser BIN before and that was great at blocking. Your right, I know the zinsser stuff ain't cheap! I'd need a fair amount to cover every bit of woodwork in the house with it. But I guess if I want it done right...

Thanks again

You can thin it with white spirit, which will make it go further, it does say on the tin not to thin but you can get away with it as you are using it as the adhesion primer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back