Different type of spotlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I've got 2 types of spotlights in my flat, one that I consider to be regular, that take regular spot bulbs and can work with a dimmer, and one that appear to be energy saving ones (please see photo) that are very dim and do not work with a dimmer.

I'd like to replace the energy saving ones with regular ones, but the wires going into the back of them (again, please see photo) look very different from the regular 2 white wires coming out the back of the regular spots.

Does anyone know why the wires look different, and whether it's likely to be an issue in replacing them?

Thanks so much,

Adam

Attachments

• Slack for iOS Upload (1).jpg
    Slack for iOS Upload (1).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 269
Sponsored Links
Energy saving just means they are of a lower wattage therefore use less energy.

Those have a connector to which the supply wires connect, the others have two wires to which the supply wires connect.
That is - the connector is farther away.

Thanks, guys.

EFL - so the grey wire casing I can see is actually part of the unit itself and sits between the light and the connector? If I follow the grey wires up they are cable-tied to the concrete above and then disappear out of sight. How would I go about reaching the connector?

motorbiking - they look great, but are quite expensive (I need:cool:. The ones I have everywhere else take standard MR16 bulbs - do you not think one of those type of fittings would work?

Thanks again,

Adam

Sponsored Links
EFL - so the grey wire casing I can see is actually part of the unit itself and sits between the light and the connector?
No they are the 'mains' wiring; the connectors are in the blue box.

The others have two white wires which connect to the 'mains' - farther away but not far.

The ones I have everywhere else take standard MR16 bulbs - do you not think one of those type of fittings would work?

Thanks again,

Adam

Please explain. There are no "standard MR16 bulbs". MR16 stands for multifaceted reflector 16 eighths of an inch in diameter, i.e. 2". MR16 bulbs can be mains 240v or 120v with a GU10 base, or 12v or 24v with a GU5.3 base. There are possibly other less common variations.

Please explain. There are no "standard MR16 bulbs". MR16 stands for multifaceted reflector 16 eighths of an inch in diameter, i.e. 2". MR16 bulbs can be mains 240v or 120v with a GU10 base, or 12v or 24v with a GU5.3 base. There are possibly other less common variations.
They are 12V, 50W bulbs - does that help? Cheers Winston!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 17.25.18.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 17.25.18.png
    635.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 17.25.09.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 17.25.09.png
    673.4 KB · Views: 259
A few years ago, the CFL things were intended to be energy saving equivalents to the halogen lamps, but most were significantly larger and required non-standard size fittings, and they all took an age to get to anywhere near a moderate brightness. Even then the colour and brightness was usually way off what most people would find acceptable.

They are totally obsolete now that LEDs can be had for a fraction of the price with instant light in the same physical size as the halogens.

Do not attempt to fit halogen lamps to these fittings, as many will not stand the heat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back