Dimmer Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a hallway light that has stopped working. It works off of 2 switches, a single dimmer downstairs and a double dimmer upstairs (with the other switch controlling the landing light)

I removed the single dimmer switch downstairs and replaced it with another dimmer switch from the bedroom and all worked fine, so I assumed it was the dimmer switch and have bought a new one. The markings are slightly different but I wired it up as the previous switch:

Old single dimmer switch:
Red - squiggle with an arrow through
Yellow - L2
Blue - L1

Upstairs double dimmer:
Red - squiggle with an arrow through
Yellow - L2
Blue - L1

New single dimmer switch:
Red - C
Yellow - L2
Blue L1

But when I put the power back on it didn't work, have I done something wrong? Is there another problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
These are standard dimmers?

In which case, you cannot have dimmers at both switching positions.

Has the new dimmer that you purchased got a rating on it. Some dimmers need a certain amount of watts to work. others are low load which will works, lets say, on a standard "energy saving lamp" , if it is dimmable.

Sponsored Links
Has the new dimmer that you purchased got a rating on it. Some dimmers need a certain amount of watts to work. others are low load which will works, lets say, on a standard "energy saving lamp" , if it is dimmable.

New dimmer is the same as the old one 60-400W and there's a 60W bulb in it (the old style)

you have checked your electrical connections at the new dimmer, you have not screwed into the insulation of the conductor have you.?

try the newly purchased dimmer at the position where you obtained the "test" one from in the bedroom.

you have checked your electrical connections at the new dimmer, you have not screwed into the insulation of the conductor have you.?

Just checked all wired in ok.

Ah!!!! Just had a 'fiddle' (with the lights!) maybe I had the dimmer all the way down upstairs when i turned the power on... MAYBE! Anyway the light comes on now but it's really flickering when you dim it.

I usually leave the dimmer turned up full upstairs and just use the downstairs dimmer to dim the light but as I say it's just flickering now. Only when you turn it up full and then back a little will it light constantly without flickering (looks like on full output), ideas?

OK so to check the one that I thought was broken I wired it in upstairs in the bedroom and it didn't work which confirms it's broken.

Wired the new dimmer into the bedroom and it works fine with no flickering (single switch in room)

Just for the hell of it I wired the dimmer from the bedroom into the downstairs hallway and it works fine with no flickering...

So how's that then?

Leading edge switching, trailing edge switching etc etc etc. There's that many variables that it is impossible to say.
Fact is, as Securespark said above, you are not meant to have two normal dimmers controlling the same light. If it works it is a fluke.
It is possible to have master-slave setups which are meant for two way switching.

So where do I go from here?

Should I put normal switches upstairs and retain a single dimmer downstairs, should that solve it?

The new dimmer I bought is chrome and doesn't fit in with the rest of the sockets upstairs (nor does it fit into the backbox) & needless to say the one I took from the bedroom is brass and doesn't fit in with the rest of the sockets downstairs. If I've already wasted money on the chrome dimmer I don't really want to buy anymore without knowing they'll work

So where do I go from here?
Should I put normal switches upstairs and retain a single dimmer downstairs, should that solve it?
Personally speaking I wouldn't let dimmers go anywhere near the stairs/landing area - but if you insist then if you have a single gang 2 way switch then replace it with a single gang 2 way dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back