Dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just a quick question...

I'm about to replace a standard 2 gang rocker light switch with a 2 gang 2 way dimmer switch (I only need a 2 gang 1 way as this switch is the only switch to control the lights).

On removing the old switch, I have a yellow/green earth which is connected to the back plate. I also have 2 red cables connecting to 2 top terminals in the switch and 2 black cables connecting to the 2 bottom terminals in the switch.

On the new dimmer switch I have L1 terminal , L2 terminal and one with a tilda (~) with an arrow through it (???). I've ascertained I don't need the L2 as this is for a 2 way connection.

So....for each of the gangs, which of the cables (red or black) connect to the L1 terminal, and which connect to the tilda (~) and arrow terminal ?

I have searched the forums for this info but I've found examples for both so would appreciate a direct answer for my particular install.

The wiring in this house is around 20 years old.

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Use either - it doesn't matter - whichever is easiest given the layout of the terminals and the cables.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back