Dimmer wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Often asked I know but I did a search and nothing seems to fit my situation.

I want to wire a dimmer to my two living room ceiling lights - I have 2 red wires, 1 black, 1 yellow and 1 blue plus an earth. The dimmer has 3 connections - L1, L2 and one with a wavy line and and arrow (I guess the latter is where the live goes?). Being a brass dimmer its case has an earth so that's simple enough.

Which wire goes to which connection on the dimmer?

thanks

Sponsored Links
exactly the same as your existing switch

L1 -L1

L2 -L2

~ goes to C (since it is only one left, if not you have wrong switch)

Breezer

Thanks but you'll need to be more specific (apologies its early) -

eg are both reds live and should they be twisted together at connected to L1? Which is the common - Black or Yellow? I know Blue is usually Neutral does that go to L2? If common is Black or yellow does that mean one of them can be twisted together with Blue and connected to L2?

thanks

from the beginning then.

existing switch

how many terminals

what are they labeled as

what colour wire (s) goes in which terminal

Sponsored Links
the existing dimmer was taken off a few days ago and like an idiot I didn't make a note of the connections - I recall some of the wires were doubled up but not which ones. The old switch had same 3 connections L1, L2 and Common. I know, I know!

all is not lost,

what is the other switch connected like? (its 2 way so there must be another one, i am also going out soon)

WIKM, from your description it would appear the connections go like this.

Yellow = Common (C) Terminal

Blue = Same Terminal as Rocker Switch (L1 or L2) + Black (mark with Red Tape if possible)

Red+Red in remaining Terminal (L1 or L2)

Remember, as the faceplate is brass you will need to take an Earth connection from the back of the box in the wall to the faceplate of the switch.

Thanks to you both. I eventually worked it out and came up with the solution offered. My only problem now is getting the wires to stay in the terminals when I push the switch back into the hole in the wall. Isn't it about time someone came up with a more secure way of connecting wires/cables to switches and sockets?

Well - first of all treat it as a genuine question, think what your answer would be, and then you can choose whether you think I was being humorous or sarcastic. Or both.

For either you are not tightening the screws, or you are not tightening them enough or the wires aren't properly inserted in the first place.

Do you seriously imagine that the problem you are having is not because you've done something wrong?

The "wavy line with an arrow" terminal is the dimmer output which you connect the wire going to your light to

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back