Dining Room light blown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, pardon my ignorance but I am far from an accomplished DIY'r. I have a halagon bulbed three pendant light in my dining room. All the bulbs have gone, I tried to take it down to see if there was a transformer in it but there isnt. Its on a dimmer switch, where should I start? Replace the switch or the light?

THanks ALex

Sponsored Links
This may seem obvious, have you tried replacing the bulbs?

Grease is a devil on these things, especially off your fingers, I always install them after wiping with tissue and never touch the front!!

Hi, yes replaced all bulbs....

basically the black and red cables go into a plastic junction box then all three pendants break off from there independantly. I cant see it being the light, but can the actual switch blow?

Switch the circuit off, have a look behind the switch for signs of burning or a loose connection, if you draw a blank I would call a sparky to come and check it over

Sponsored Links
What voltage are the bulbs?

If you want, change the dimmer to a normal switch and see if that helps.

When a lamp blows (and they do) there can be quite a high current.
A lot of the cheaper dimmers cant cope with this and basically act an expensive fuse.

Change the dimmer for a standard switch first. I'd put money on it being the dimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back