Dirty water from taps! (Worcester Combi-Boiler)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester 24i RSF combi-boiler that is about 8 years old and feeds four rads in my flat.

Lately, I have been getting dirty water from the taps. It looks and smells like the water in the rads, grey in colour and smells metallic. It clears after a short while. It appears from both the hot and the cold taps in the kitchen and bathroom, whether the heating is on or not.

I have just drained the system and replaced a radiator that was sludged up. I have also injected Fernox cleaner into one of the rads.

I thought the water to the taps came straight from the rising main. Why might it be getting contaminated like this?

Sponsored Links
Your main heat exchanger may be leaking where it transfers heat to the secondary side (HW). To test watch if the boiler pressure gauge rises late at night (when mains pressure is higher). The 24i RSF has a single bi-thermic heat exhanger which will be more costly than a separate secondary plate type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back