Dirty water seeping into my washing machine when not in use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have read the other posts about this subject and have tried every suggestion but I still have a problem.

My washing machine has been working ok in its current location for the past 5 years. Recently however dirty water has been seeping into it when not in use. Water from the sink and the dishwasher which is also draining into the sink waste pipe appears to be entering the washing machine.

I HAVE CHECKED THE WASTE PIPES, U BEND AND PIPEWORK AND CLEANED THEM OUT INCLUDING THE OUTSIDE DRAIN AND WATER RUNS FREELY. THE WASTE PIPE FROM THE MACHINE IS RAISED HIGH UP PRIOR TO ITS CONNECTION WITH THE UBEND yet water still flows back into the machine. Nothing has changed with the pipework since the machines installation yet I now have the problem.

I don't know whether it is a plumber or a washing machine repair man I need to contact first and ideally would like to rectify the problem myself. Can anyone advise me what to do now!!

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The water from the sink can only enter the washing machine drain pipe if the water level is higher than that pipe when the plug is pulled...therefore surely the water must be backing up somehow. Keep the washer drain pipe level with the underside of the work top before turning it down into the U bend connector.
Post a pic?
John :)

The waste pipe comes out of the washing machine at the top rear right hand corner of the washing machine then rises higher to a point immediately below the bottom of the work top before dropping to the u bend where it joins it via a sealed connector.

I have checked all the drainage pipes leading to the outside drain and the drain itself and there is good flow when you empty the sink into the drain yet some water, about 1/2 of an inch in the drum, still enters the washing machine about five minutes after emptying the sink or if the dishwasher has been on.

I just cant get my head round what is wrong as things have been ok for 5 years, there is good flow to the drain and no obvious blockages.

Non return valve perished/broken off on the pump. Pull the waste pipe off the pump and look for a black rubber flap.

Sponsored Links
Rather than stripping down the machine I have fitted a £6.00 in line non return valve into the waste pipe. This has done the trick. many thanks for your advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back