Disabling an intercom buzzer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty new to DIY and would be grateful for some help with what is hopefully a simple question.

I own a flat that shares a hard-wired intercom system with several other flats. The intercom handset inside my property is a Comelit OKAY. The buzzer is incredibly loud with seemingly no volume control or option to silence it. Due to my flat's location, the buzzer gets pressed a lot and I would actually like to disable it so that it does not make any sound at all! However, I would rather not disconnect the whole handset as I'd still like to use the button on it that controls opening and closing the front entry door.

Would it be possible to disable only the buzzer by disconnecting one of the wires inside the handset? I've attached a photo of the internal wiring. Thanks in advance

View media item 79769 [/img]

Sponsored Links
You need the exact model number as OKAY includes 2-wire bus system and 4+n wire traditional system. A photo of the whole handset would be helpful.

Try disconnecting wires to terminal S as that may be the call wire.

A quick look at the wiring diagram shows terminal 'S' connected to the external push switch on the entry system. Try disconnecting the wires connected to 'S'. Insulate them and keep them out of the way.

I've not played much with intercoms, but if the diagram is correct the switch is normally open, so disconnecting these wires should effectively disable the outside push switch.

Thanks very much for the replies. Have put up a couple more photos of the handset where you can see the whole thing.

I've disconnected the wire going to terminal S and it has indeed silenced the buzzer, which makes me very happy :) The button for opening the front entry door is still working.

If it's possible, a sensible long-term solution for my issue would be to replace the intercom handset with one that has a "silent mode" setting so that the system still makes noise, but only when I want it to. However, I expect not all handsets are compatible with all systems. Can anyone give me any pointers on the things I would need to consider if I wished to make such a replacement?

Unfortunately the manual for my current handset was missing when I moved into my flat, so I don't know its exact model number. Thanks again.

View media item 79886 View media item 79887 [/img]

Sponsored Links
Hi I have a flat and the intercom is too loud pls help me how can I make less sound

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back