disconnecting a gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a gas fire in the front room I want to remove.

Do I need a suitably qualified plumber/gas fitter to remove it or can I do it myself?

It looks like it can be isolated from the supply by turning the valve next to it off with a screwdriver. Alternatively is it OK to disconect the supply at the mains and then cap the pipe to the fire under the floor or am I likely to end up dead and /or prosecuted?

Sponsored Links
You are competent in being able to remove your fire.....before you remove this you must check that your existing carcass does not already have a leak..after removing you must check that you have left no leak & all supplies to current appliances are sound....are you competent to do this...if so...how?

Bamber gaspipe said:
You are competent in being able to remove your fire.....before you remove this you must check that your existing carcass does not already have a leak..after removing you must check that you have left no leak & all supplies to current appliances are sound....are you competent to do this...if so...how?

in fairness bamber the OP did ask whether he/she should get a suitably qualified plumber/gas fitter not that they were defo doing it themselves

I would advise against DIYing this and get some one in shouldnt be too expensive

corgiman said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

in fairness bamber the OP did ask whether he/she should get a suitably qualified plumber/gas fitter not that they were defo doing it themselves

I would advise against DIYing this and get some one in shouldnt be too expensive

around £65 better than blowing the house up the price of a good pair of trainers.

Sponsored Links
abbo27 said:
It looks like it can be isolated from the supply by turning the valve next to it off with a screwdriver. Alternatively is it OK to disconect the supply at the mains and then cap the pipe to the fire under the floor or am I likely to end up dead and /or prosecuted?

This post suggests to me: ``am I alright to do it myself..``

Bamber gaspipe said:
abbo27 said:

This post suggests to me: ``am I alright to do it myself..``

Still dont see it, not that it matters

BOB put it very very well

I sometimes despair of this site. Someone is always willing to go the extra mile and jump down your throat when you ask a perfectly reasonable question. But, hey, if that's what it takes for them to feel good about themselves, feel free to continue.

Thanks for the proper answers by the way, it is appreciated.

abbo27 said:
I sometimes despair of this site. Someone is always willing to go the extra mile and jump down your throat when you ask a perfectly reasonable question. But, hey, if that's what it takes for them to feel good about themselves, feel free to continue.

Thanks for the proper answers by the way, it is appreciated.

who are you thanking?

;)

Honestly it seems like a simple job (and it is) but its all the testing that HAS to be done right.

as BOB says 65 knicker should take care of it.

I was thanking you for correctly enterpreting the nature and tone of my post and Bob for suggesting an approximate price for the job.

quote="abbo27"]I have a gas fire in the front room I want to remove.

Do I need a suitably qualified plumber/gas fitter to remove it or can I do it myself?

It depends on how you remove it & the implications afterwards..

It looks like it can be isolated from the supply by turning the valve next to it off with a screwdriver.

No problems there..

Alternatively is it OK to disconect the supply at the mains and then cap the pipe to the fire under the floor or am I likely to end up dead and /or prosecuted?

Bamber gaspipe said:

It looks like it can be isolated from the supply by turning the valve next to it off with a screwdriver.

No problems there..

Alternatively is it OK to disconect the supply at the mains and then cap the pipe to the fire under the floor or am I likely to end up dead and /or prosecuted?

Bamber stop looking for verbal fight,s we have heard enought of it your bud is after banning me, hee hee hee

MOD 2 behave or i start deleting the lot and BTW i'm nobodys bud

No Bud`s on this site mate, who`s after banning you?......not after verbal fight...maybe I misunderstood posters intentions..I`m a bit gas institutionalised..thinking about safety issues..come across as a p*rick sometimes..think your a dic*head though... ;)

MOD 2

and you behave as well

MOD 2

and you behave as well

Do you know who I am Kev??...

MOD 2

do i sound as if i care if i know you e mail me no fights on this forum END OF :eek:

BOB.DOLE said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

No problems there..

Bamber stop looking for verbal fight,s we have heard enought of it your bud is after banning me, hee hee hee

MOD 2 behave or i start deleting the lot and BTW i'm nobodys bud

well i sure will be complaining about you mod 2 your conduct to forum members is dispicable, And hopefully you will be replaced by someone with a bit more leaway into forum discustion and not personal vendetta against indeviduals who wish to express themselfs in a normal fashion.

MOD 2

when you start expressing yourself in a normal fashion you will get a little more leeway

complaints to [email protected]

BOB.DOLE said:
Bamber gaspipe said:
MOD 2

and you behave as well

Do you know who I am Kev??...

MOD 2

do i sound as if i care no fights on this forum END OF :eek:

yes i do your trainee gasman ????????

You are not so thick are you Bobby Lad..Jesus..I dropped enough hints...in case I don`t get to say goodbye later Bob..cos I`M banned...keep winding them up SON......LOVE
YA! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
MOD 2
nobody is banned just keep it in check

I`M not trainee..that was a joke Bob, before you start rumours..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back