Disconnecting ancient bell box safely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Going to disconnect an ancient old bell box tomorrow and mount a dummy box in the same place for now. No worries to damaging any wires as the next alarm will be done using new cables.

I did speak to an electrician about this and he said the wires inside the bell box should be thin white wires which are can just be pulled out and left without any worries. Does this sound about right?

Do I need to disconnect the mains at the consumer unit, and should I terminate them into a connector bloc or is electrical tape around each wire good enough?

OZ8rCsW.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sorry forgot to add, the bell box still has power going to it as when the consumer unit is turned off it sounds for about 3 min before going dead

Those normally operate on 12 volts which will be supplied from the alarm panel.
If it is still powered, locate the old panel inside and disconnect the mains supply to that permanently. You can then remove it and the outside box.

As said the bell box gets power from the alarm control box, however it also has a battery of it's own, so anyone trying to disconnect it will cause it to sound, no real way to stop it sounding there will be a tamper switch some where. One just has to do the job at a time of day which will not upset people.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

Could I possibly not disconnect power at the control panel and still do the job..

With it being 12v and not mains powered is it safe to just cut off the wires that are going to the box without any risk of shock?

Yes. Just cut each wire individually. No need to do anything to the ends of the wires.

As said the bell box gets power from the alarm control box, however it also has a battery of it's own,

In this case there must be a battery back-up to the box, but many that old just have a siren and a tamperswitch (and possibly strobe).

Personally i would cut them long and leave them in the dummy box for now.
The cable from the loft to the panel may need to be reused by the new alarm installer if its difficult or unsitely to run a new cable.
As said removing the cover may set it off, so dont fall off the ladder, have your cutters handy and cut the wire from the battery inside the bell box and it should stop.

Thanks all, I disconnected the power going into the control panel, one I did that the bellbox battery kicked in and it sounded for around 5 mins until it went flat. Going to go up in a day or 2 to take it off, will follow the advice and cut them long and leave inside new dummy bellbox

Why not get a new real alarm bell box?

If you don't want it working, remove the sounder, and just connect the power wires to the lights to make it look real.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back