Disconnecting the gas cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has now got dementia and have been told by the NHS that I must disconnect the gas cooker as she turned the gas on and forgot. Am'I allowed to disconnect it or would I need a plumber in? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it's on a hose attached to a bayonet fitting then technically you can remove it yourself, although if it was me I'd be getting a GS regd engineer in to check the bayonet wasn't leaking

It is possible to have a key operated gas valve fitted in the supply to the cooker so that a home help can use the cooker on their visit.

Just by chance tonight I went to a friend who said his late father had once left the gas cooker burning for a whole day before he arrived.

The danger of that is that it can burn up all the oxygen and suffocate anyone in the house.

Tony

You could remove the bayonet fitting, and then put a soapy solution on the gas pipe and check for any bubbles, but if you do that, how will mum cook. You should really get a plumber, but it'snot a difficult job. Unless you're pretty ham fisted, you shouldn't do any damage, but you need to make sure that the gas pipe has sealed itself after you've taken the bayonet fitting out.

Sponsored Links
You could remove the bayonet fitting, and then put a soapy solution on the gas pipe and check for any bubbles, but if you do that, how will mum cook. You should really get a plumber, but it'snot a difficult job. Unless you're pretty ham fisted, you shouldn't do any damage, but you need to make sure that the gas pipe has sealed itself after you've taken the bayonet fitting out.

You're encouraging DIY gas work.

Soapy is better than nothing to prove the seal in the bayonet socket has closed and there is no significant leakage of gas.

Soapy is better than nothing to prove the seal in the bayonet socket has closed and there is no significant leakage of gas.
Except for the small issue that washing up liquid will rot the rubber seal, thereby increasing the chance of it developing a leak in the future

If it's your mum's place and maybe hasn't had the attention of an RGI for a few years! And she has dementia it would be prudent to get an RGI in, to give the whole gas supply a health check anyway! Pressure test at the meter and not just a disconnect of the cooker!

As regards a home help or care assistant, I think an electric kettle and a microwave is as much as they are likely to need. They will both turn off automatically.

You might consider a combi microwave but I think the simple ones with a turn knob (not buttons) will be easier to use. Same with heating timers, when my old mum became disabled I fitted her an old-fashioned Drayton SM2 programmer and a dial wall stat.

Last edited:
bernardgreen said:

aquaheat said:
FFS the pi55 poor advice keeps coming!

What should someone who has removed the bayonet coupling do ? Assume the socket has sealed the end and not check that it is not leaking gas ?

OK I accept my suggestion of soapy water may have detrimental effects long term but leaking gas has serious problems short term.

bernardgreen said:

aquaheat said:
FFS the pi55 poor advice keeps coming!

What should someone who has removed the bayonet coupling do ? Assume the socket has sealed the end and not check that it is not leaking gas ?

OK I accept my suggestion of soapy water may have detrimental effects long term but leaking gas has serious problems short term.

Anyone carrying out any form of gas work is required to be competent. That is defined by being a member of Gas Safe.

However a cooker point is deemed acceptable for disconnection by the householder. While I don't agree it is allowed. There still needs to be a degree of competence though and to answer your question anyone that hasn't got the equipment to test correctly whether there is a leak present shouldn't be doing it in the first place. What they should do then is contact someone that can test correctly and ensure that it is safe.

Your proposal that a short term soapy water test is just plain wrong and dangerous.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back