Discrimination among power tool makers

2scoops0406

Why is it that most power tools cannot be adapted to suit left handed people? Take for instance mitre saws, handle always on the right. Circular saw, chip/dust ejection generally to the left, planers, same, which means us poor lefties get a face full of chips / dust. Could use a dust bag, but the bag always gets in the way 'cos it's on the left. Table saws, can usually be changed satisfactorily, but always come set up completely ars3 about face for us left handers. Even drills which i'm sure all you "normal" people couldn't possibly imagine as being biased one way or t'other often have all the auxiliary controls on the left hand side, which means if you're using the drill in your left hand you need to swap hands. Now I know that we'll never reach a complete utopia where it doesn't matter what handed you are, but a bit of thought when designing tools wouldn't come amiss. It is interesting to see that the average life expectancy for lefties is lower than righties, not through disease or anything like that, but for the fact they have so many more accidents trying to live is a right hand biased world. Before anyone says it, yes, I know it's all my fault for having the audacity to be born left handed, and I should have been drowned at birth like in the good old days. Ok rant over, as you were. ;)

Sponsored Links
You are 'laid up', on the positive side, time to practice with your right hand !!!
Hernia to ambidexterity in 6 weeks ..... Out of the darkness into the light !!

Join a club !! Click me lefty
P

Practise with my right hand..... ooh err! I have to confess that screwfix seem to be doing well this week, the devil makes work etc etc..

If it was put to a vote, a referendum if you like, that tool makers should make all tools available in left/right handed versions but would result in a %25 price increase across the broad...

Sorry but....

Burn the witch!!! :D :D :D

No offence like! ;)

Sponsored Links
oofence duly taken .. by all !!

Cheaper to sew their left thumb to left little finger, bet right hand be easier then !!
Only allow to drink from sleever .. job done.

P

probably best not to get into a left hand / right hand argument, I find that the righties haven't the intellect to understand the concepts, let alone the argument. ;)

Eddie M said:
probably best not to get into a left hand / right hand argument, I find that the righties haven't the intellect to understand the concepts, let alone the argument. ;)

Ah yes, the intellect argument, you must be a spectacle wearing leftie then...

LUCIFER!

:D :D :D No, really, I am only joking!!!

Isn't it something to do with the predominant side of the brain??? Generally speaking, left handed people are more creative, artistic than righties??? Hence more manual workers tend to be right-handed, hence only a minority of lefties need the use of tools???

I could be way off track here :confused: (but I wanted to put a intelligent argument across being an insecure and inferior rightie ;) )

I think a lot of dubious "science" has been done on left hand / right hand preference. Yes there are physiological differences between left and right handers brains, but what this actaully means in terms of personality traits and expression, I think is far more up for conjecture, I just know that some tools are more difficult and potentially dangerous to use left handed.

Left handed people are considerd sinister.
Check what sinister means in Latin.
It means lefthanded.
The opposite is dexter which means righthanded so dexterity is use of the right hand.
The heraldic use of dexter and sinister refer to the right and left side of a coat of arms.

my mum was left handed dewy god rest her cotton socks
she told me she had her knuckles rapped literaly with a ruler
at school because she was left handed barbaric or what :mad: :mad:

big all

I have a suspicion that right handedness is more common than left because, as kids we are told to use the right.

My eldest sister is predominantly left handed, but writes with the right, because she had her nuckles rapped if she used the left. My other sister was a leftie (writing as well), I have one left handed brother and the other three predominantly right handed.

I myself, write with my right usually, but with the left if I have something else in my right hand at the time. The problem is, even Handwriting is designed for use by a right hander. If you use a fountain pen in the left hand, you smudge as you go, besides this, most of the strokes are pushes, (which are less controllable than a pull).

When playing snooker or darts, I have no preference for right or left (depends on the shot). For raquette sports I prefer the right. For golf I prefer left handed clubs. When laying bricks I use the trowel in my right hand (as right handers do), but even if I put the trowel down, I feel uncomfortable using the right to put the brick in place. When using a screwdriver or a saw, I just use whichever hand is nearest the tool at the time.

I recently heard that a right handed person generally has a larger right hand than the left. (and vica versa). I think I am slightly more right handed than left, but my left hand is substantially larger than the right :confused:

I suspect that most people are actually ambidextrous, they just get into the habbit of using one hand more than the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back