Dishwasher salt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning

I am about to buy a bulk pack of Hydrosoft granular salt for a domestic (Siemens) dishwasher: is this salt OK to use? I say this because some websites sell it for domestic dishwasher use, but others appear to limit its suitability to industrial and commercial dishwashers, as well as standalone water softeners.

Many thanks

Blup

Sponsored Links
granulated salt is the same whether it is packaged for dishwashers or water softeners. you must not use cooking salt, or rocksalt sold for icy roads. Water softener salt is often in large tablets or "pebbles" or blocks so will not easily pour into the small orifice of your dishwasher. Large machines take large quantities hence a 20kg bag is more suitable. A 2kg bag from the supermarket will last quite a long time domestically.

A big pack is more likely to spill before you finish it, and spilled salt will eat holes through any steel or aluminium it touches, including the floor or boot of your car, and can damage concrete floors, so use an impervious flooring and clean up any spills at once.

Not with your hoover as the salt will eat any metal parts inside.

Thanks for your prompt and really helpful reply. I am bulk buying household supplies as this is often much cheaper (though not for branded washing powder for some reason).

Cheers

Blup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back