Dishwasher where there is a washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm running a small language academy, and the place we have rented has two washing machines in a laundry room. Thing is, with so many students eating here the washing up is taking a long time, so I'd like to buy a dishwasher. It's a short term let (2 months) so I'd ideally like to install it in the laundry room either instead of one, or as well as, the washing machines. I'd also like to be able to remove it come September when we move out, and leave the washing machines as they are now.

Is it possible? Plumbing knowledge very basic, but helped someone replace a washing machine the other day and was surprised how easy it was, was hoping taking a washer out and fitting a dishwasher would be as easy!

Sponsored Links
Usually a straight swap, old washing machines might have a hot and cold fill most new dishwashers and washers have a cold fill only so safest to cap the unused hot connection from the washing machine if there is one but it should be a doddle(y)

If you're replacing one for the other it should be easy. Just connect the waste and water hose where the WM is at present (may have to cap one of the connections). You could also probably add the dishwasher as an extra but some photos of the pipework may help with that.

Thanks everyone - nice to hear that it might be simple, thought I was maybe simplifying it by thinking the water and waste pipes could be used for dishwasher. As it is, the hot water pipe goes nowhere and is capped I think, so there are just two waste pipes and two cold water pipes - see pictures. I'm ok in thinking that I could use one of these water pipes + one waste pipe to connect a dishwasher, and then swap it back when my tenancy finishes?

Sponsored Links
Possibly you have already fitted the dishwasher, but I have an advice.
Use the curved waste pipe support to keep the corrugated grey pipe in the stack.
They tempt to come out and flood the kitchen.
You don't really need to screw it to the wall, just clip it to the corrugated grey pipe and hook it into the stack, leaving a good 6/8 inches of pipe in the stack

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back