Distance from living room window for new build?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any legal distance from living. Windows that a new developer has to leave when building a new property?

Sponsored Links
Well I live in a house an a developer has put plans in for a bungalow behind me an the wall is 12ft from my living room window

Sponsored Links
Well it's a big house with a narrow garden all round an a yard at the side etc, but that's not relavent? We've lived here 20 years an the were not nimbys the original developer was building 3 houses backing on to us about 60ft from our fence similar to normal estates an we had no probs with that . He has sold to a larger developer who has turned the plot round to get 5 houses in an now the nearest is 12ft?

That's helpful Freddie Thanku as said I'm not, just lookin for a bit of advice on a different forum, us gas blokes always help others is that something u can't do ?

Write to the developer and tell him that you will plant some 50ft leylandii trees along your boundary next to the living room.

Is there any legal distance from living. Windows that a new developer has to leave when building a new property?

No, but how the new structure imposes on your plot might have planning considerations. As a neighbour you should have received notification that someone had applied for a development that adjoins your property. What planning applications have you had sight of?

You need to object to council planning dept.
This should be done in writing or via the council's planning website.

There are vaious grounds for controlling such development such as being overlooked or removing your natural light to your window. There is a thing called 'Ancient lights' which you can declare which stops new development too close to your windows. I remember my Gran having a sign above her side window which forced the new house next door to be built further back on the plot to preserve her light.

Have a look here
http://bldgblog.blogspot.co.uk/2007/04/ancient-lights.html

There are no hard and fast rules but local authorities will usually have supplementary planning documents that will give guidance on what they will allow. Generally, if the new wall contains a habitable window at first floor level the minimum distance will be at least 19m and probably more like 21m. If the new wall is blank the minimum distance will be more like 12m. Ground floor windows do not usually count as they would be screened by a 2m high fence.

At 12m distance it's possible you might suffer a loss of light. However, proving loss of light is not straightforward and it will be your responsibility to prove it and then pursued a court that the loss is significant. This is not easy to do as the amount of light you actually need is a lot less than most people think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back