Distance required between cooker hob and wall units

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently putting together my new kitchen ready for installation new week but I'm slightly worried about something!

I've 2 x 60cm wall units which once up will mean that I've only got 3cm until the start of the gas hob.

My question is: is the hob too close to the end of the wall unit? Are there any recommended distances? My main worry is that the heat from the hob will either burn or singe the underneath of the unit!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Until fairly recently the instructions given with the hob were concerned with the distances above, I think it was assumed that wall units would end in line with the width of the hob and most extractor housings were designed for this.

I noticed a few months ago there was a gap recommendation of 50mm. given but have never taken any notice, purely because none of the major makers have started to produce units in the odd 50mm sizes (350, 450 etc) and are still designing layouts the old way.

So I would say, that provided your wall cabinets do not sit over the hob you are ok, that's the way it's been done since I started working on kitchens 40 years ago.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back