Distributing Sky through amplifier around the house

All that copper screening spilling pout of the backs of the screw-on F connectors looks untidy and can pick up interference.

What, you mean more than the entire body of the F connector which is attached to it, and the entire length of the coax where that screen is essentially exposed?

Sponsored Links
Since the coax cable is useless as a signal transmission device unless connected to both source and sink device, then it's equally useless to regard the F connector in isolation as an extension of the cable shielding when really it's an extension of the shielding and grounding of the source or sink device. The fact that it starts off connected to the cable is merely a convenience feature.

Those wisps of shield wire are effectively new connections which are un-terminated at one end, and that's pretty much an antenna. So yes, they may be emerging from the metal barrel of the F connector, but there is a significant electric distinction between the functions of each.

We could argue the pros and cons until the cows come home. Isn't it more useful to take the simpler approach of doing the job right?

Thanks again, Lucid. I can confirm that 1) works. Will try the other more tricky steps at the weekend. I'll let you know the results.

We could argue the pros and cons until the cows come home. Isn't it more useful to take the simpler approach of doing the job right?

No argument there, at least.

Mind you, really doing it right would require proper connectors instead of the budget option of F.. ;)

Sponsored Links
All that copper screening spilling pout of the backs of the screw-on F connectors looks untidy and can pick up interference.

What, you mean more than the entire body of the F connector which is attached to it, and the entire length of the coax where that screen is essentially exposed?

My thoughts exactly tbh. A few wisps of shielding will have zero (or negligible affect on a UHF signal). I agree it looks untidy and could do with tidying up but don't unnecessarily worry people. The shielding is exaclty that.. it is shielding and as such will be connected to earth so although one end of the small wisp is unconnected any spurious signals will be directed to earth and not get near the signal carrier (i.e. the central core)

To the OP though - have you checked near the amp for a 'spare' cable which may well be the other return feed to which you are now connected?

Right I have followed all the good advice (thank you all again for that) and found and removed some chuncking through which the electrician had run the cables around the house. Some were disconnected so through a process of elimination I connected each loose end to the UHF cable in turn. Eventually I got one to produce a picture on the second tv and I was able to change channels with the Sky remote. The only thing wrong now is that the picture is weak and not very colourful. I have the RF turned on on Sky and the Wolsey turned on. I've checked the cables I joined to make sure theyare snug but still not improvement in picture.

I haven't check the wall plate behind the main TV. This was working fine earlier this so I think that is okay.

and found and removed some chuncking
Replace it with trunking. ;)

The only thing wrong now is that the picture is weak and not very colourful.
That sounds like normal modulated RF. Is the picture any different if you move that same TV and connect it directly to the Digibox with a short length of coax? If it is, then the cable itself might not be the proper double-shielded type - or it may simply be too long. What type of cable is it and how long from Digibox to distribution amplifier?

The shielding is exaclty that.. it is shielding and as such will be connected to earth

I suspect that nothing is earthed in the system. It's all double-insulated equipment. Even if it were earthed at some point, it would be wishful thinking to assume that eddy currents in the shielding would simply be shunted away. This is UHF we are discussing, not DC. As Lucid suggested, having strands of wire sticking out is asking for trouble. I would trim them right back.

I think I have finally cracked it. I have pictures and sound at all tv points in the house. Picture quality is adequate, one of the cables was loose hence the reason for poor picture quality I mentioned in my last post. I checked a cable that was a birt loose and this has improved the picture quality. The original problem of no signal was resolved when I found the Return cable that had been fed around the house when we did the new build. The correct cable is now attached to the UHF feed into the Wolsey box. I will try to improve picture quality by tidying up the copper bits sticking out of the cables as suggested.

I would like to thank everyone who has helped me solve this problem, particularly Lucid and Sam, without your input I wouldn't have sorted this out. Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back