Diverter Repair Kit made no difference

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my Halstead Ace High. I'm still getting a flashing Power light when you open the HW tap or turn on the CH, the pins are coming out of the diverter contacting the microswitches, the gas atrts up but then it all cuts out and the Power flashes at me. So now I've got not no HW or CH, at least before it was intermittent.

Any thoughts or help really greatly received at this moment.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a gas/combustion fault which we don't advise on here.

Get a good boiler engineer. Your model is not greatly liked.

Tony

I thought flashing green power light on these was an error in primary flow switch proving.

I think it is a global error covering several causes.

But he says "the gas atrts up but then it all cuts out and the Power flashes at me" and I interpret that as a combustion/gas issue.

RGI time!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Tony I haven't seen one for a few months but I don't think its a rectification fault as that sends the boiler to lockout. I'm pretty sure that the boiler self checks and fires up for about 5 seconds and if there is no pump proving, or if it drops off with a worn diaphragm then it sits with a flashing green light.

I thought flashing green power light on these was an error in primary flow switch proving.
Tony I haven't seen one for a few months but I don't think its a rectification fault as that sends the boiler to lockout. I'm pretty sure that the boiler self checks and fires up for about 5 seconds and if there is no pump proving, or if it drops off with a worn diaphragm then it sits with a flashing green light.
I put a new diaphragm (1st in the flow switch- nothing happened. 2nd the small one in the diverter) in and that's when it wouldn't work at all. So i got the boiler man to come and sort it. He put the old diaphragm back in and it at least went back to working but cutting out again on its own when hot or CH gets interrupted by HW and reverting to dreaded flashing power light. He and his son thought the issue was something like the pin that comes out of the top of the diverter was not connecting enough with the microswitch as when they had the switch off and stocking a screwdriver in it it seemed to operate correctly. But as i say, a day after he's left and we are back to the flashing power light.

The diaphragm i took out did look pretty worn, but not damaged. My boiler man reckoned the new diaphragm that came with the repair kit wad too thick and that's why the boiler wasn't working, reckoning the water pressure in the diverter want pushing the diaphragm out enough, myself i don't know.

Anyone bothered to check the pump? ie that it's turning with sufficient torque and not clogged.

A service?

How can anyone service a boiler with a fault?

Tony

Pull out the pump and check the torque...if it's ok the impeller should take a fair effort to stop...use a glove/cloth to grip it.

The diaphragm i took out did look pretty worn, but not damaged. My boiler man reckoned the new diaphragm that came with the repair kit wad too thick and that's why the boiler wasn't working, reckoning the water pressure in the diverter want pushing the diaphragm out enough, myself i don't know.

I am not sure what exactly a "boiler man" would be.

But if he is anything close to a boiler engineer then I don't understand why as simple fault on a run of the mill combi boiler has not been identified and fixed.

Tony

I am not sure what exactly a "boiler man" would be.

But if he is anything close to a boiler engineer then I don't understand why as simple fault on a run of the mill combi boiler has not been identified and fixed.

Tony
Boiler man is http://cbssouthampton.co.uk/ a Gas Safe registered Boiler Technician. Chosen because of his high rating on CheckaTrade and yes he is a nice man who seems very knowledgeable having been in the game 25 years.

And there's nothing more that I would like than for this to be a simple fault and easily rectified so where do I go from here? I'm away for a bit now so will have to try the pump off when I get back. Barry (my boiler man) mentioned something about the air pressure switch possibly, it seems the air pressure may be dropping to the pump(or fan I could be wrong here, I've got a lot going on beyond the boiler at the mo) when its switched back over to the CH when you've been running the HW tap/turned it off and the system reverts back to CH, that's when it cuts out.

All I can say is that someone who repairs boilers for his living should be able to diagnose faults on a simple boiler like yours and fix it for you.

Checkatrade gives best reviews for people who turn up on time with polished shoes rather that their diagnostic experience.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back