Diverter Valve leaking on Vaillant EcoTec Plus 831 boiler

Sponsored Links
Wonder if someone might answer couple of my original questions:

Is it OK for me to continue using the boiler while the DV is still leaking? Or is it risky? I did ask the plumber this over the phone before and he said it should be ok because it's not a gas problem. He even implied that it would be ok for weeks, after which his schedule would be free to pop around.

Depends how much rust you want on the boiler chassis or how much you want to contain a leak that will be fixed in half an hour. Why bother waiting any longer than needed?

Depends how much rust you want on the boiler chassis or how much you want to contain a leak that will be fixed in half an hour. Why bother waiting any longer than needed?

Just the expense. Business has been slow the last few months. Wondering if I can delay until things pick up.

Sponsored Links

Do you think it's a job too difficult for a novice to attempt? I do DIY but never did anything plumbing related other than fit a kitchen counter and sink over existing plumbing (assisting a builder).

I'm just wondering if it boils down to a case of unscrew, disconnect old, connect new, screw back on. Or is it a lot more complicated?

I'm not going to advise you to play around in side the combustion box of your boiler. As Steelmasons intimated, you should be in there in the first place really.

Fair enough, it's not the best idea I admit and thanks for your concern.

But in terms of the procedure, if there was an instructional video out there - would the procedure be pretty straightforward for a novice to follow or would it be prohibitively complicated, requiring specific technical knowledge?

I'm not going to advise you to play around in side the combustion box of your boiler. As Steelmasons intimated, you should be in there in the first place really.

If I take a plumbing crash course online would it be easy to change? I saw one for the same cost as the repair and it's crossed my mind in the past that I'd like to learn plumbing skills at some point. Maybe it's a sign.

Those courses are about as worthwhile as a used Tampon.

That's a shame, it'd be useful to learn a new skill like plumbing, electronics or a new language. Sounds like it's not worth the investment afterall for the plumbing course then.

Take the crash course and you too can become a plumbing and heating engineer , just imagine the money to be made repairing boilers once you become gas safe.

All there is to know can be written on the back of a postage stamp......how hard can it be FfS????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back