diy door entry system help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to install an audio door entry system in a block of 4 flats. There is currently no lock. We would prefer to install a maglock but cost is an issue (there's a landlord who hasn't been burgled twice, unlike my friend, and who won't pay to have a system professionally installed).
I'm fairly technically minded but haven't done anything like this before. All advice - what systems are best / cheapest, where to buy, lists of exactly what I'll need - gratefully received. From what I've read so far, I'm not sure how entry is usually gained from the outside when a maglock is installed.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you're referring to the external/exit door, you don't want a maglock. Lock strike is preferable in these situations. you will most likely have to change the lock for a night latch too. If you don't, to stay legal you'll be looking at a compliant lock with 3000lb side loading rating - serious money.

As menntioned above. you have to consider the fire regs.
And no, diy is not an excuse to avoid doing it right.

PS. If the cost of a maglock is already causing an issue, then you have a problem.

Yeah a lock strike is the best but for four flats its going to cost you about £200 + cable and your time. Easy to install. To get in from the outside you would use a key. You can use proximity sensors, card entry, or code entry or even biometrics but the cost goes up with all of these

Sponsored Links
What type of door do you have?

Electronic strike would be perfectly usable on a wooden door and they are cheap start from 20 odd quid. But for flats you'd be expected to have a heavier duty then that so you'd looking at a Trimec.

UPVC doors are a completely different kettle of fish.

I'd say a Videx 3K 4 way system for the intercom which is around the 200 quid mark.

You'd need a power supply 31 quid and cable £15 and an exit button so they can get out in emergency

That's all of the top of my head.

Hi

I have just ordered some of these from Carter Voce and wondered if it is easy to fit them. Do they just push on or is there some wiring to be connnected?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back