DIY Install: Wireless & Wired Alarm Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm wanting to purchase a wireless kit, but also has wired capabilities. I rang one of your highly recommended companies, Pyronix today, but unfortunately they are closed over the weekend, so I decided to post on here.

I want a wireless alarm system for ease of install, but I was wondering if additional peripherals, especially the bell box siren, can be hard-wired if needed?

If Pyronix can't do it, what alarm would you recommend and why?

Sponsored Links
I want a wireless alarm system for ease of install,

Is it worth having an easy install if the alarm then is easy to defeat. There are very good alarm systems that use wireless communications but these are not low cost DIY systems. Any system that relies on one way wireless communication should not be considered as a reliable alarm system.

but I was wondering if additional peripherals, especially the bell box siren, can be hard-wired if needed?

No point in hardwirng the bell box if the sensors cannot communicate with the control panel.

Pyronix enforcer has facility for a wired siren and two wired zones. Pyronix are a manufacturer and you will need to go through a distributor for the products.
This is a professional product not DIY

Thank you for your prompt replies.

Bernardgreen - I thought Pyronix was one of the better systems out there and that it didn't matter whether it was wired or wireless? Would wireless make it a lot less secure? The reason I don't want to do wired is because I don't know how to do it. If there was a step-by-step video guide, then yes I would be happy to do this, but I couldn't find it. I wanted to hard-wire the bell box to save me having to change the batteries every few years, but are you saying that if I hard-wire the bell-box then it won't communicate with wireless sensors?

Musszzy - So is bernardgreen incorrect then? Can a hard-wired bell box communicate with wireless sensors?

Sponsored Links
If you live in an ordinary domestic house and are not seen to own quantities of gold jewelry or other valuables, then I doubt your local crackheads or teen chancers will have the interest or skills to defeat much.

JohnD, I agree. Where I live, neighbours have got a huge guard dog and all the locks on my doors have been beefed up to high quality ABS anti-snapping, so it's pretty safe. I just want an alarm for peace of mind.

So what can you recommend?

Last edited:
Depends on your skills !
I've just installed a Pyronix enforcer 3 pirs 1 door 1 bell and dummy in 1.5 hours , tested and shown the customer how to use it ...

Sparky, you must be an expert, whereas I'm an amateur with good all-round diy skills and basic knowledge on wireless alarms. BTW is that 1.5hrs for a hard-wired or wireless alarm system?

Wired ! Lol...that will take a good day to do right depending on floors ...eg chipboard / laminate flooring , unless it's a bungalow....

LOL!, sorry. I would have very little issues in installing a wireless alarm, however I would like to have a hard-wired bell for the convenience of not having to climb on a ladder to change the batteries.

Last edited:
Bernardgreen - I thought Pyronix was one of the better systems out there and that it didn't matter whether it was wired or wireless?
Pyronix is ( I sem to recall ) a system that uses two way wireless communication and would be difficult for a criminal to dis-able it.

So is bernardgreen incorrect then? Can a hard-wired bell box communicate with wireless sensors

In a good system the sensors would communicate ( by wire and / or wireless ) to a control panel which would then communicate to the bell box.

There is one low cost DIY "alarm" system where there is no control panel and the system "control" is built into the bell box and the sensores have to communicate directly with the bell box.

then I doubt your local crackheads or teen chancers will have the interest or skills to defeat much.

Some low cost DIY wireless alarms ( one way communication ) can be defeated by equipment bought on the internet for under £ 10

Thank you Bernard. This is why I'm interested in going for the Pyronix as it has a two-way communication and is highly recommended, but my question was can I hard-wire the bell box and the keypad, but all the sensors stay wireless?

Yes you can hardwire the bell box .... But ! If you are going to hardwire it use a Pyronix delta bell as its a low current Bellbox, if you use another brand you will have to run it in SCB MODE . ok

can I hard-wire the bell box and the keypad, but all the sensors stay wireless?
Yes you can but make certain that the system you choose will interrogate every sensor for its status (*) when you are arming / setting the system. It would also be sensible for the panel to routinely poll the sensors to ensure they are still active.

(*) some alarms can be set even with a protected door or window open because the panel cannot check the sensor's status when the alarm is being set.

One way wireless sensors have been removed from site and the panel could still be set. ( A new door and door frame were fitted and the sensor went with the old frame into the tip. The alarm system did not notice it had a sensor missing leaving the door totally unprotected )

Thank you very much Bernard & Sparky for clarifying this.

More questions:-

1. Musszzy said that the enforcer has facility for a wired siren and two wired zones, so would it be possible to hard-wire: 1 x bell siren, 1 x keypad and 1 x door contact, but have all the PIR detectors as wireless?

2. Would I be able to add a GSM module at a later date?

3. I'm going to have the system armed at night, so are the pyronix pir detectors known to set off false alarms?

4. Does the internal control panel have it's own internal siren or would I need to purchase one separately?

5. What kit & accessories would you recommend for:-
  • 3 x pir detectors,
  • 2 x door contact (For Final Exit Door & Garage Door
  • 1 x external bell,
  • 1 x control panel,
  • 1 x keypad (**Not required if it's already got one built-in to the panel**),
  • 1 x cable wiring (To hardwire bell and one or two peripherals)
  • + has an option to upgrade in the near future to a GSM dialler?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back