DIY Internal Door - Should I buy a Triton 2000 or saw table?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

For some reason the door frames in my house are only around 73" high. Finding doors to fit is nigh on impossible - unless I have them made to order - but the cost is too high.

I therefore am going to build my own doors.

I own basic tools (saws, chisels, drills etc) but to build a door I guess i'll need at least a table saw for accurate cutting.

I don't want to spend more than £200 or so really on a table saw. I've been looking at used Triton 2000s on ebay. They seem quite versatile, but I see some people say getting accurate cuts can be tricky and time consuming.

Otherwise I have seen this table saw on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KITY-12-SAWBE...Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item4aa242fe33
(if anyone could tell me if it is any good that would be useful)

The doors I want to build will be pretty simple 4 panel Victorian style ones.

Anyway, any advice on which bench to buy would be appreciated.

Jason

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Forget making your own doors unless you have a joinery work shop.

Do as Foxy says and refit new door frames to correct size.

Sponsored Links
To be honest a bench saw isn't the main tool you would need if you're going down the making your own route.
You can order your timber to finished sizes so there would be no ripping down to be done. After that you could use a mortiser or just do them with a drill and chisel, and a router is very useful for grooving for the panels and for mouldings, then maybe a sander or smoothing plane and sandpaper by hand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back