I will try and get this up to date fast but its now about half way through. The previous post by rustyjames (loft conversion project) got me thinking I should do a similiar post so here goes. My plan was/is to build a simple loft conversion of one room by my own means. This being from drawings through to having it passed by Building control. I soon found some aspects were a tad more tricky than I first thought so I did a set of rough drawings and emailed them to some on line building techs for pricing for a set of drawings. 350 quid was the lowest but I paid 450 to a local guy for this reason. He dropped his price 100 after I showed him the other quotes but that was his limit. This price was for BC approval and any amendments required by them (not me though). A further 250 went to building control and 350 to an engineer for technical calcs. Now this was 1050 quid in total and I didnt even raise a hammer but it was going to be the biggest expense by far. The BC was put in February and it was going to be a long wait. A break down of what was involved is this : Remove whole chimney down to loft floor. Remove living room chimney down to living room floor and make sound. Support 8 no roof trusses in living room and cut them! Knock out lathe an plaster ceiling and cut the trusses. Fit concrete pad stones and lift in steel U beam. Drill an fix + attach timbers and joist hangers and fire proof. New concrete lintel in hall way for new floor above. New collars, new joists, hangers all will 4no 4" nail connections! Roof vents + soffit vents Duo velux window installation and rectify existing velux windows New floor Insulation Finishes Almost forgot the stair is pre built in two sections and comes through the living room window once removed. One thing I couldnt understand was the engineer changing bolt connections in my drawings to 4" nails. Everything from double up floor joists to hangers etc were now 4" nails! To add to this my ceilings are lathe and plaster. My stair was at right angles to my roof trusses so 8 roof trusses would need cutting. As the beam would be in the stair well wall I had the beam over the joists and joist hangers side slung. He changed it the joist and steel at the same level meaning I would have to support the trusses before cutting. Scarey I had the previous summer removed the chimney into the loft space due to it leaking and in a poor state. I had also replaced the leaking cast iron roof windows with rooflite windows but these would need to be altered for the loft conversion. (They were thrown in to solve the dampness more than anything else) By the start of May nothing was through so I started doing the roof ventilation. (That would be ok surely) We got a scare at this point as my 2 year old son met me on the roof ridge. Not only did he climb up the ladder but he had managed to get the keys to open the back door. The neighbours were horrified, he thought it great and waved to everyone. I also removed the loft floor and made a shed out of it and put the loft things into it. Clever eh Chimney down into loft space + floor now my garden shed. [/b] What we found under the floor was a bit of a worry. Bearing onto the middle support wall was very little in places. The rafters sat cantilevered 500mm out from the external walls on the roof joists. These were loading the external wall! By the end of May I was getting a bit fed up why BC were taking months for a single bedroom simple loft conversion. I sent an email ( to archectertural tech bloke or agent) asking if it was safe to at least buy materials when we got the go ahead to build away.