DIY Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its taken some doing but I've nearly finished. From planing through to almost completion all DIY. Apart from Velux fitting and steels, done with the re-roof, plaster skim and Electrics for certificate.

I've just got the banisters to fit before final BC inspection

Some pictures at various stages, I've covered the build in detail on my blog http://roomuptop.blogspot.com/

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Looks very professional to me and you did a better job than my builder! :(

Well done. :D

Thanks Bahco,
I wish the wife would have let me do the roof as well as the roofers I had bodged alot. It's something I have to weigh up, time, money and quality. If I can do something myself, I always find the time, save money and don't compromise on quality. With the roof my wife factored in me falling off, so I lost out there.

Andy

Interesting with the steelwork - I never thought of having the steels above the joists they support. But with the joist hangers its a good solution for this application. Nice.

Sponsored Links
Hi Steve,

I needed to gain as much head height as I could, the joists are only 100mm. The hanger I doubled up welded together then welded to the beam. Unconventional but effective.

Andy

Just reading your blog. Why were you so insistant on having PME? Theres nothing wrong with TNS. PME is better in that it gives a better earth, but TNS is sufficient. Certainly TT (earth rod) is the least favourable option!

I hope I've got the terminology right - The ZE on the TNS was too high for my electrician to pass. So I could have fitted an earth rod, it would have been quicker, but as the earth was supposed to be supplied by the network, I pursued them. I did give them the choice of digging the road up and trying to reconect the cable shielding all the way to the substation but sugested I'd be happy if they wire me up for PME.
As a side benefit, I've noticed last week the dual rate meter timer hasn't been working since and I've only been clocking up night units. I've now told the supply company as I'dont want a hedious surprise in the future.
Andy

Thanks Steve ;) , I've added that vital bit of info to the blog

Yes , first inspection. The span is only about 2m on to supporting wall in the middle, SE calcs say its OK, BC SE agreed, inspector poked his nose up saw I was working to plan and gave the OK.

Agbagb - i'm currently about 3/4 of the way into a DIY loft coversion - we're just starting to plasterboard out the two rooms in the loft. We've also had to move the existing staircase and rear external door to comply with fire escape regs so there is only one room in the house that has escaped a re-design of some description! Its been a long hard slog and i've only really had weekends and the odd week-day night to get on with it. Hoping to get one room in the loft finished before Christmas! Is that you 'turning' the newel for the stairs - they look great!

Desperate to post some pics on here but it wont be worth it without the 'before' pics and during the extensive removal of everything out of the house to facillitate the conversion, the lead to download the pics from the camera has gone awol!! Just as soon as i find it i'll post the pics in order!

Hi Andrew,
Yes that's me turning newel.
It sounds like you've had many extra bits to do. Hope it all works out in time for Christmas. There nothing like a deadline to get things finished.
I set christmas last year as deadline to get the room finished and I've not set another, as a result the stairs aren't fnished yet!

I'll look forward to seeing your pics.

Andy

out of interest do you know how much it has cost you altogether? do you know how much it would have cost if you would have paid for it professionally?

Wow! That is a great DIY conversion.
It certainly looks a damn site better than some that I have seen done by so called "professionals".

Thanks Etienne
The advantage I've had over professonals is time and inclination to get it right. That's often the benefit of going down the DIY route.

Cheers
Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back