DIY shot blasting a radiator?

Sponsored Links
It's a messy business, the abrasive can cover a considerable distance, so unless you live on an isolated farm, to keep peace with your neighbours, you would also need to construct an enclosure in which to do the shot blasting and devise a method of collecting the used grit. You will also need to buy the abrasive, although it's not expensive.

Ah, thanks. I was expecting the shot to hit the radiator and fall to the floor on a sheet of visqueen in my garage.

My sister has an empty container on her farm. Do you think sheeting the rear of that would give me a decent enclosure? The radiators are 2.0 X 0.6mtrs.

Sponsored Links
I'm still at £35 without the shot. I have a decent mask at work, plenty of visqueen, small compressor, goggles, ear defenders, gloves.

I must be missing something?

1/2 plugs for the radiator.

Do you think the Sealy machine would be upto the job?

Personally I'd think you'd have to get very close to the job using this one and progress at 50 psi @ 3.5 cfm would be painfully slow.
I'd go for the £90 offer.
John :)

I have a decent mask at work, plenty of visqueen, small compressor, goggles, ear defenders, gloves.
Not suitable - for what you are intending to do you will need a full coverage suit and a helmet with an air supply from a powered filtration system.
A few sheets of plastic, face mask and goggles will do nothing.

Shotblasting requires a large compressor with an even larger receiver - anything described as 'small' will be out of air in a minute or two.

Agreed....this kit would work but only a tiny nozzle could be used so that means slow progress!
I've used the pro gear before, and there was a huge diesel Hydrovane driving that!
John :)

That £90 is seeming better value ever time someone posts ;)

Having the size of kit used by both the steel erectors and stone cleaners we have on jobs, even when working in restricted areas indoors, I'd say get the job done. I have a fairly local tyre place who has a Guyson cabinet and a generously sized compressor and they will do stuff like this. Some garages (the sort of place that refurbishes old cars, etc) and engineering (fabrication) firms also have the same sort of kit on site and may be cheaper on blasting and undercoating (get the metal sealed before it leaves the premises - you'd be amazed t how quickly it will start to rust if left unsealed)

I wonder if I could calculate it's heat output before I spend money on it? If it was straight it would be a 2200 X 600mm single panel without the fins on the back.

I'd guess it was upto the job of warming the room because it's double glazed not but wouldn't have been when that radiator was put there.

image.jpeg

I thought that first but it's got layer upon layer of paint on it so I reckon that will be keeping heat inside it.

I tried Nitromorse first, that worked a treat on my car, but didn't touch the radiator :(

I tried Nitromorse first, that worked a treat on my car, but didn't touch the radiator :(
I think this pretty much guarantees you need to get the blasting done - not used nitromors in years but iirc you need to make damn sure you've not got any residue from it before repainting - old un-removed paint could well be contaminated by it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back