Do any modern white gloss paints not go yellow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone have any recommendations for paints? I'm soooo fed up of white gloss yellowing!

We have tried dulux, johnstons and a B&Q cheapy for comparison. Whilst the Johnstone seemed the best to apply - they have all yellowed where in shadow.

I have tried covering it straight away, left some uncovered for 4 weeks - but still they go yellow. the latest discovery was behind the setee. We left the skirtingboard exposed for 4 weeks after painting, put the sofa back (about 8 weeks ago) and now it's yellow!!

AArgh!

Any advice or tips from the DIYers [and pros ;)] out there?

Sponsored Links
We got a cheque from dulux for our gloss yellowing, and vouchers for new paint. For the replacement we used water based gloss which, although a bit harder to apply, hasn't yellowed at all, and must have been done nearly 2 years ago.

I don't use gloss, but use Crown Solo 1-coat satin (although it needs 2 coats)

After 4-years it hasn't gone yellow, but more grey, which is alot better. This is not just in 1 room, but the whole house.

One of the guys in my local paint merchant told me that crown is the best, but personally i would expect all oil based paints to yellow faster than they used to. They just haven't been able to get it right since the voc cuts and there's another round coming soon, so unfortunately oil based paints are pretty much going to become history so the R&D money hasn't gone their way. WB/ hybrids are slowly getting better and you may as well try to get used to them because they are not going to go away.
I used some crown solo on a rental a few years ago and i was told it went yellow in about 6 weeks, part from that its just about the worst gloss i've ever used, wouldn't touch it with a ten foot barge pole! but i wouldn't with any of the thixotropic paints.

Sponsored Links
Okay - cheers!

I might research some water based paints. I'm getting tempted just to chav it up and matt-emulsion straight onto timber!!

(sadly half my house was done that way by the previous occupants!!)

Whitling2k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back