Do Building Control check your planning / PD status?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I live in a mid terrace victorian house with typical L shaped plan at rear. I am planning a side return extension. The length of the side return is 6.8m. Having been told that a full infill to this length would definitely not be approved under planning, we have submitted a 6m long extension under PD. The height of the new party wall is 3.55m, with max eaves height of 3m. This was the suggestion of the architect. Neighbour consultation has taken place and there have been no objections so we have the go ahead.

I am very disatisfied with the fact that this 6m extension leaves us with an awkward inset at the rear elevation of the house - it will look poor externally and really compromises the plan internally.
Rational assessment would suggest that taking the extension a mere 80cm further to fully infill, while using some 'clever' design (sloping roof) to bring the insane 3.55m wall down to something more sensible like 2.5m would result in a much less overbearing party wall from the neighbours perspective.
However i have been repeatedly advised that our council is one of the worst in terms of 'computer says no' mentality, so a planning app would be futile. If i apply for planning they will restrict the extension to 3m - they begrudgingly allow the 6m under PD because they have to.

Now - stop reading if you are of a sensitive law abiding disposition. I want to build the 6.8m extension anyway without planning. I hate people who think they can build whatever poorly finished monstrous extension they like without consulting anyone (plenty of those round here) but this is going to be a well executed, architecturally sympathetic asset to the terrace. I know that is just my opinion and there is no excusing breaking planning law... there is no avoiding the fact that i am a hypocrite.

My question is this - if i submit plans of a 6.8m extension for building control approval, do they check my planning or PD status, or are the 2 departments completely separate?

In other words - i want everything to be legit in terms of building control, but at the same time i don't want planning to get wind of what i am doing. Is anyone out there corrupt enough to advise me on this?

Sponsored Links
Just to make sure, why not use private inspectors instead of the council bods?

Besides, how are BC going to know? You don't need to write the overall dimension on the drawing, and I doubt they can use a scale ruler.

Sponsored Links
Your main risk is your neighbour. Presumably he's on board and likes the idea of the slightly larger more attractive version too?

I'm aware that after x years, the planners have no comeback, but since Building Regs are concerned with safety, would they not be able to enforce on dangerous work?
The time limit for dangerous structures is unlimited but the OP is going through BC anyway. His issue is planning.

Thanks everyone. Neighbour is housing association, hence the lack of interest in the bloated scheme that has made it through PD.

Good to hear that as suspected BC and Planning don't talk.... ridiculous, but typical of British bureaucracy. It will be 100% signed off by BC and built to a high standard... and if i make it to 4 years without anyone asking me to take it down then there is no planning issue.

Most if not all of my local councils talk between the building control and planning depts. Especially when there is or maybe a contravention or if they think that there should be an application, but isn't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back