Do EASYFIX plasterboard fixings actually work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just bought some Screwfix 32mm, self drill metal plasterboard fixings branded EASYFIX, like below:-

fixing.jpg

I have now used 9 of these in a plasterboard (Paramount) wall. 5 have proved impossible to install and have made a mess of the wall. This is a near 50% failure rate! The screws that come in the box have to cut their own threads into the metal fixing as they are tightened. The metal is quite resilient and it takes a great deal of effort /torque to finish the screw. As you apply a lot of torque to drive home the screw, the entire metal fixing continues to rotate in the plasterboard. It eventually either drills right through the plasterboard layer, or strips the plaster thread and just spins. You end up with a large hole either way, and the fixing has to be withdrawn with pliers.

I can't understand how to use this fixing. 22 Screwfix reviews give this product 4½ stars. I have some 'O' levels and thought that I'd be clever enough to use such a fixing, but it seems I'm still not smart enough. Could this be a dodgy batch? I'd give the fixing 1 star myself. What am I missing..?

PS. This seems similar to this thread for another Screwfix product.

Sponsored Links
What are you trying to fix to the wall?

Alarm panel and mini trunking! I thought that I'd just buy a box of fixings for all occasions, and as there are a 100, I'd never need to buy any more. Now I have to throw 91 of them away. I think that's called outsmarting one's self :(

I have to say that I've had far greater success with the parasol type crushable metal plugs, although they really require a setting tool for most reliable results

Sponsored Links
They took them back at Screwfix and refunded me the entire cost. That was nice of them as I'd already used 9. The chap said that he wasn't product trained so couldn't advise me how to use them properly, but did say that he wasn't aware of other complaints on this item. He did say though that the Screwfix business model was you should only buy stuff from them that you know how to use. I'll look for a training course. Ho Hum.

What can be easier than
  • Screw plug into wall
  • Screw screw into plug
?

As for the Screwfix business model, there is nothing more frustrating than being stuck in a queue held up by a numpty at the front asking 1001 questions about a wall plug

Great WHEN it works - sadly it doesn't always work. Especially on thinner boards

What can be easier than
  • Screw plug into wall
  • Screw screw into plug
Nothing could be easier. Except when the screws don't go into the plugs. Well they do if you use a ½" ratchet. It takes so much force to drive the screw home that the plasterboard fails around the fixing. Screwfix man said he was unaware of this and I believe him. However, as I type this reply, "Similar Threads" is showing 5 other threads that deal with the same issue, the last being from this April. Proves that I'm not a nutter. I suspect that it's just the odd box /batch. Stuff happens...

The screws cut their own thread in to the plug - which is soft metal. So once started they normally just fly in, but they do need to be started - which is probably the most difficult bit.

The only probelm I've ever had with these is the skim plaster cracking at times, but yes bad batches are possible but I don't think that its a common probelm with this type of fixing

What can be easier than
  • Screw plug into wall
  • Screw screw into plug
Nothing could be easier. Except when the screws don't go into the plugs. Well they do if you use a ½" ratchet. It takes so much force to drive the screw home that the plasterboard fails around the fixing. Screwfix man said he was unaware of this and I believe him. However, as I type this reply, "Similar Threads" is showing 5 other threads that deal with the same issue, the last being from this April. Proves that I'm not a nutter. I suspect that it's just the odd box /batch. Stuff happens...
In total agreement with you. For paid work I generally refuse to use them ("curly whirlies") because with the plasterboard being an unknown quantity in many cases the inconsistency of this type of fastening makes their use potentially very costly

Well I have a box of those that foxhole referred to and I only have
good things to say about them, I punch a hole in the plaster board
with the screw driver and then insert the fixing and use the screw driver to locate the fixing.

Guys, from your varying comments, it seems that this is not unexpected. I'll shy away from them in the future. Those new GripIt plastic ones look interesting...

I only have good things to say about them

Hmm. Are the things you fix thin or thick? To be honest, I've actually found my problem putting up very thin material (1mm). I'm beginning to wonder if it's difficult to drive the screw all the way in that's problematic. Most people probably put up stuff thicker than 1mm...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back