Do I have a faulty aerial or is it a booster?

Still thinking...

Actually, the amplifier could fail from water getting into the aerial cable even if the amplifier is inside the house.

And the other common cause of failure is bad connections (badly made or corroded) and damaged cable.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I don't have a clear picture of your wiring. I work best from wiring diagrams. Draw me a sketch or wait for Chris.

Looking closely, the splitter connection was actually a Belling, otherwise known as an IEC ;)
lol... glad we are on the same page :D

If it was me, I'd work systematically by disconnecting as much as possible and dealing with just what's in that cupboard(?) first. So any cables going off to sockets in the rest of the house get disconnected here. That would be one from the two-way splitter, and two from the black Anitference box. What would be left is the connection from the Labgear power supply (via the splitter) to the input on the Antiference box, and then one output on the Antiference box to the Taldis power supply. That means taking the lid off the Antiference. As a safety precaution I'd recommend switching off the mains socket while you do the wiring work. It's not because the voltages are dangerous (they're not), it's simply to avoid short-circuiting something while you mess with bare cables.

You should also disconnect all the TVs and any recorders connected to the TV socket outputs. You still need the Sky box connected since this is upstream of the distribution system. Just a thought, but while you are at it you could check that the aerial cables to RF-in and RF-out2 are connected the right way round. Put the Sky box on the TV Guide, then disconnect the aerial input to RF-in. Connect a TV at the distribution box. You should still be able to tune in on an analogue channel to see the Sky Guide. What should be missing though is any of the Freeview channels when you switch over to DTV.

Next, start by connecting the TV to the output of the Taldis box. Power back up and do a signal check. The quality will drop a little but you should still have plenty enough to get good TV picture. If you have a problem here then it's either the the Taldis power supply or the Antiference box. If all is good, then move on to connect some other outputs.

I would then connect the second output from the Belling splitter up by the Labgear PSU next. The reason is that this will drop the signal to the rest of the system since it is dividing the signal before the Antiference box. Do the signal quality test again. At this point you're starting to test the integrity of the wiring that goes out to each of the TV sockets. If the signal quality drops a lot then you have identified where the problem is.

It's up to you how thorough you want to be. If the signal is still good then you might decide just to add another line and test, then the final one and test. Or you might go for the "test one line only" approach so you can see what's happening on each line individually, and then start adding outputs to see what happens collectively. If you still have good signal when all the lines are connected then it's time to test by reintroducing the TVs one at a time.

If something is broken in the system then there will come a point where the signal drops enough to cause problems. Working through methodically helps you isolate that item. The other thing to bear in mind is that signal quality deteriorates over distance. So you might be okay with the TV connected at one of the amp outputs. But when the same TV is connected in the living room / bedroom then the cable losses might be what's stopping things working.

While you're trouble-shooting have a quick look at any fly leads from wall sockets to TVs and recorders. Also consider that a cable my have come loose from the back of one of the wall plates. This isn't exhaustive but it gives you some idea of where to start looking. :)

Chris Thanks again. I cant try all of what you suggested just now as I will need to make a cable as you suggested.

However, (without disconnecting other cables) I did try:
"Next, start by connecting the TV to the output of the Taldis box. Power back up and do a signal check. The quality will drop a little but you should still have plenty enough to get good TV picture. If you have a problem here then it's either the the Taldis power supply or the Antiference box." as in picture below.

I did a channel scan. It found channels but couldn't display any of them. TV said "no signal" exactly the problem I was having when this TV was connected downstairs.

So, this now isolates it to the Taldis and/or Antiference box? How do I know which one? I could replace both if you could give me some suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Come on guys at least get the technical words correct. It's not a "belling", it's a "balun".

So, this now isolates it to the Taldis and/or Antiference box? How do I know which one? I could replace both if you could give me some suggestions.
TBH I'd replace both with a single unit that will also tidy up the wiring and make things simpler.

It looks like you don't need much more than 4 outputs. Is that right? You also have Sky, so something that allows Sky infra red eyes to work would be a must, I presume. There's an FM aerial, though at this stage it's not clear if that is already multiplexed in with the TV signal via the masthead amp up in the roof or whether it feeds a separate system somewhere else which I think is what you mentioned.

So, considering all the above, a 4-way Sky eye compatible amp with FM/DAB + TV inputs would probably fit the bill. Something like this Wolsey might do the trick. It's mains powered and has lugs on to make it easy to fix to the wall. The connections are F type, so easy to fit. They do a 6-out and an 8-out version as well. There are other brands and different options of course, so the Wolsey is simply one option that's easily accessible via a host of web e-tailers. If you have an alternative favoured brand then just look for something along the same lines.

Your wiring would be aerial cable via Labgear PSU, then to TV (UHF) In on the Wolsey then out to the various TV points.

Chris, I think you picked the wrong type of amplifier. That's not a low-noise aerial amp - it's a distribution amp with "Sky magic eye" remote return built in.

Chris, I think you picked the wrong type of amplifier. That's not a low-noise aerial amp - it's a distribution amp with "Sky magic eye" remote return built in.
I'm not recommending a like-for-like replacement though. Most masthead amp/splitters have DC pass on one leg only. That's no good if you have a few TVs that you'd like magic eyes on.

Something like the Wolsey is a simple robust solution. If you were to recommend a completely passive system then that's something else entirely. But for a powered system, unless you can persuade me otherwise, I see no reason to overcomplicate things trying to find a masthead amp with 4 legs of IR pass and then buying a PSU for it that is also IR Pass. There's very little in it money-wise... in fact the Wolsey might turn out to be cheaper in the long run. Keep it simple is what I say.

Chris and Sam
Thank you very much for all your help. I will order the Wolsey and hopefully all will be back to normal.

Why does he need "IR pass" and where's it passing it to/from?
I must have missed something. (But I'm not good at building images of wiring in my head.)

Here are the three connections into the black Antiference box

From the left:
First cable comes from the splitter attached to the Labger box.
Second cable comes from the top left Taldis unit at the bottom
Third cable disappears off via the trunking

Also the Output cable on Teldis also disappears off into the trunking.

How would I connect up the new box to replace these connections?

Re - IR pass etc- There is a separate music distribution system in the study that's a mess of wires- the vendors had told me that I could use the remote control pointed at the control panels to change the satellite channel - I attach the pictures below. Havent got round to giving this much thought yet as I have only managed to get the satellite channel on upstairs TV thanks to you guys. Should've got them to show me how these things worked.

sorry didn't realize these may be connected/related. There is a cable which comes from the roof and goes down the trunking (its the one just above the output cable on the Taldis box - two bits of cable joined together with a connecter) - its probably the radio one. The aerial socket in the study is connected to a Tuner.

Why does he need "IR pass" and where's it passing it to/from?
I must have missed something. (But I'm not good at building images of wiring in my head.)
It's to power the Sky eyes if/when they're used in the system. Sky eyes require 9v phantom power. Once the correct menu settings at made then the Sky box RF2 supplies that voltage. It then has to get through the aerial distribution system to the remote TVs where the eyes would be fitted.

Basic aerial distribution amps and splitter/combiners block this voltage. The versions that don't are often referred to as having "IR Pass".

If one searches about it's possible to dig up all sorts of products which will pass Sky 9v for IR Pass. But when one just needs a simple solution, why make life hard?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back